Sleeping with Arianna Huffington
In a recent edition of Parade, Arianna Huffington said the secret to her success is getting eight hours of sleep every night.
“When I get enough sleep, I'm better at everything. I'm more creative, I'm less reactive, I'm better with my children,” the 65-year-old founder of the Huffington Post told Parade.
And she reportedly does it without taking sleep medications, unlike 60% of the respondents in a poll Parade conducted on sleep in America, results of which were published in the same issue.
Here's how the hard-charging Huffington said she gets her eight hours of sleep every night:
1. Know Your Sleep IQ. Huffington finally has accepted she needs eight hours of sleep.
2. Establish a Routine. Wind down with “something to say we are now turning off," she says, like taking a hot bath or reading a book.
3. No-Device Rule. “Gently escort all your devices into another room," she advises.
4. Make Tradeoffs. This may mean skipping your favorite TV show or checking emails.
5. Keep it Cool. Huffington agrees with studies showing people sleep better longer in a cooler room.
6. Nap. Huffington provides sleep pods and nap rooms for her staff, and occasionally naps in her office.
SEE ALSO: Sleep Habits: A Doctor's Perspective
Parade’s survey of 15,000 adults asked what they would trade for a good night’s sleep. Among some of the more interesting findings:
- 30% would choose sleep over sex;
- 26% would choose sex over sleep;
- 34% would choose losing 15 pounds over sleep; and
- 9% would trade a good night’s sleep for a raise.
How about you?