10 Must Haves: Matthew
Matthew T. Patton, editor of ADVANCE for Medical Laboratory Professionals
, shares his must haves:
- Coffee. I can’t wake up without coffee. I clearly have an addiction because I feel physically ill if I don’t have at least one cup of coffee every day.
Inspirational for every day is music. Country, classical, rock, hip hop, dance, electronica, jazz, blues and more. I don’t like to limit myself to one genre.
- My iPhone. It helps keep me organized with travel, e-mail, keeping up with family, texting, paying bills and more. I can’t and don’t leave home without it.
- I grew up in Kentucky on a lake. I love being on the water. On a cruise, at the beach, boating, jetskiing, fishing or generally relaxing anywhere water is involved.
- Relaxing in general, but relaxing on my patio with a cup of coffee in the morning or a glass of wine at night is a peaceful beginning and end to the day.
- Planning trips. I am the master of an itinerary. My friends poke fun at me, but at the end of the trips, they always say, “that was the perfect itinerary!"
- Flying. I love to fly. I love airplanes and obsess over seating charts and configurations, flight patterns and tracking and aircraft types. (One of the coolest and most memorable flights I took this year was in a Cessna 207 from Hoonah to Juneau, AK where I got to sit beside the pilot).
- Wine. I don’t have to have wine every day like I need coffee, but I love good wine. I even host a wine tasting group. I’ve been to Napa and Sonoma countless times and am always on the hunt for the perfect Cabernet Sauvignon. My 2010 summer wine is Block 45 Pinot Noir from Whole Foods.
- Cooking. I love to cook, especially for a big crowd. There’s something invigorating about hosting a dinner party for 20 or more people.
- The companionship of my dog, Pete, a 10-year-old Boston Terrier. He is the cutest dog ever and one of my best friends.