Facebook Feedback: Changes and Improvements
If you're not following us on Facebook, you're missing a lot of fun feedback. If you are, keep following and spread the word! The conversations are far from over.
We asked Facebook fans: "If you could ask for one improvement in your lab, what would it be"?
Here are selected responses, copied verbatim without editing:
Re-engineering of the preanalytical phase including improvements to the HIS & LIS. Oh wait.....we've been asking for over 10 yrs but it just gets worse
- More teamwork.
- closer to home. my job is awesome.
- Space, faster accessioning of the samples, and a few changes in staff.
reorganize the space we have to make the workflow alot better....
not worry about certain ppl calling in....especially nights and weekends, trying to cover for them, changes everyones schedule!!
- More space!!
- More space and a better HIS-EMR
- Hire more 2nd shift techs.
- the way it's arranged. Computer screens too high or too low. I get really bad back and neck aches by morning. Easier access to BB. Right now we have to go out and come back in another part of the lab to get there. Brighter lighting.
- More space, better leadership/administration!
We also asked Facebook fans: "What would you most like to change about your job? Hours? Pay? Responsibilities? Share your thoughts."
Responses appear below, copied verbatim without editing:
- Make 12 HR shifts for med techs
- We tried it....went back to 10s and 8s
- 12's works for some ppl and others it doesn't. I loved my 4 10s in 3rd when I did 'em! I go bad to night in a heartbeat if it was 12 hour shifts! 5days a week 8 hour shifts really sucks for me personally..
- A new computer system..windows based!.. oh how i miss windows systems!..
- I would like more pay! I feel that with my 14 yrs as a lab tech, I should be paid for my knowledge and expertise in my field...with the economy however, it's not going to occur. I am thankful for having a wonderful career and work with terrific professionals!
- I did 7 on and 7 off 10 hour days...when I worked at a hospital...a few of my friends worked at another hospital and worked 12 hour shifts and love it...I would like 4 10's...
- I wished that had 10HR shifts where I'm from. Thats interesting to know that they have 10HR shifts for techs
- I'm a MLT & have been doing phlebotomy for 11 years. I'm thinking of applying for a MLT position that recently opened in the same hospital & I won't lose my seniority. I miss it and I'd like to use all the skills I learned in college. Since change is kind of scary, I'm still contemplating my choice.
- I would like to see more recognition from the nursing staff. We are educated and do take care if the patient as well. How many feel we are due equal pay of a nurse?
actually getting a job first would be nice, then, the other things can be discussed! I have been out of the loop for so long with phelbotomy, that I am afraid I forgot how!
- Better hours and pay. Day shift with 4 10s or 3 12s would be great!
The pay doesn't seem to match the responsibilities associated with lab duties...just the thought that we 85% of decision making for physcians speaks for itself.n
- First of all I have to say I am VERY grateful I have a job and hope we can continue keeping our doors open. But if i could change anything about my job: NO more being on call; NO more weekends and NO more working holidays.
- I'd like us as a profession to stop comparing ourselves to nurses. The value we bring to the patient is completely different. Nurses have worked hard to make sure the public and other healthcare providers realize their value and they deserve the money they earn. It is past time for MLSs and MLTs to do the same and do it based on our value, not by comparing ourselves to nurses!
- To not be bother with calls on information the nurses can look up them selves. Like, what color tube is....? How many units of blood has this patient received??? ... the list goes on........