ASCLS Annual Meeting
I am in the process of packing to attend the ASCLS Annual Meeting 2012 in Los Angeles, Tuesday through Saturday, July 17 to 21. I am exciting because I will be an attendee as well as a presenter.
As in recent years, ASCLS is joining with AACC to mount the world's largest clinical laboratory meeting and exposition. These meetings are always a great opportunity to see cutting edge technology, meet vendors, touch equipment and be informed through sessions offered in a variety of formats from keynotes to scientific sessions to caucuses to lunch-and-learn sessions. Of course seeing old friends and meeting new colleagues are always exciting as well.
Handouts for sessions have been preloaded on the ASCLS website and can be downloaded as needed (printed or viewed via computer screen). This convenience also saves trees. After the meeting certain presentation will be available for sale in CD format.
One great aspect of this meeting is the seamless fully integrated use of social media tools to organize information, keep in touch and communicate with colleagues-including those who for some reason cannot attend the meeting. There will be some paper to be sure, but more attendees will be armed with laptops, tablets and smart phones than at any previous meeting.
In an email sent out today, ASCLS recaps the tools available and makes the following suggestions:
If you will be at the Annual Meeting, be sure to share what is going on in your day. Your peers want to hear from you!
- Update your colleagues through the ASCLS Facebook wall
- Follow @ASCLS on Twitter and tweet about the sessions and events you are attending (use the hashtags #ASCLS2012 and #ClinLabExpo).
- Check in on Foursquare places around Los Angeles to find fellow attendees.
- Continue discussions on LinkedIn. We will also be having a Foursquare Scavenger Hunt during the meeting, so make sure you follow @ASCLS on Twitter announcements on the day's Foursquare locations.
- If you have a smartphone or iPad, make sure you download the ASCLS Annual Meeting Application can have your CE sessions, vendor locations and governance meetings all at the tip of your fingergtips during the meeting.
Don't have a computer with you? Use the ASCLS Hot Spot near the ASCLS registration area at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel. There are computers with free Internet access at this Internet café.
ASCLS 2012 promises to be an exciting highly wired (or wireless!) meeting.