Hair Loss Treatment Strategies for Men and Women
Psychological observational studies have consistently revealed that it takes only a few seconds to form an impression of a stranger from their facial appearance. Within a few seconds, impressions of personality traits and age are made.
Men and women with thinning hair or patterns of baldness are perceived to be older. Hair loss greatly impacts self-image, self-esteem, body image satisfaction and well-being. Hair loss progresses if left untreated. Some common causes of hair loss include, but are not limited to, genetics, testosterone conversion to DHT, other hormonal imbalances and physical and emotional stress.
More advanced strategies are available to slow the progression of hair loss and stimulate regeneration of hair:
1. Propecia (Finasteride)-Clinically proven to suppress DHT (Potential adverse sexual side effects and depression.)
2. Stimulate/regenerate hair follicles
- Topical hair stimulating cocktails, which may include minoxidil, tretinoin, bimatoprost, herbal preparations
- Laser Therapy-In office therapy or a home device
- PRP/PRFM-Platelet rich plasma or platelet rich fibrin matrix use plasma that contains a concentrated amount of platelets, which function to repair tissue. PRP can be activated by the body's own collagen to release growth factors. When calcium chloride or thrombin is used to activate the plasma, platelets release growth factors more slowly. The slower release is felt to enhance the activity of the platelets for a longer period of time. When growth factors are released, they stimulate localized cells to repair and induce synthesis of healthy new tissue. When platelet rich plasma is used on the scalp, they stimulate dormant hair follicles to regenerate fuller, thicker and new healthy appearing hair.
3. Hair Transplantation-Over the years, technological advances have allowed men and women to experience more natural solutions than a few decades ago.
4. Hair Growth Supplements-Overall health is based on nutrients that we take in. A drug-free hair growth supplement with key nutrients called Viviscal Professional can help promote existing hair growth.
5. Combination Therapy-Depending on the degree of hair loss progression, more than one of these strategies can be used together.
Treatment strategies for hair loss should be considered with the first signs of hair loss. Clinical studies using these strategies have been proven to be beneficial and provide superior results when intervention happens in the early stages of hair loss.