Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join
Toni Talks about PT Today

Horse Show or TPTA Conference?

Published July 3, 2013 10:15 AM by Toni Patt

This afternoon I received the monthly email from the Texas Physical Therapy Association. It contained a prospectus for the upcoming annual conference and early registration. This is much smaller than the APTA's Combined Sections Meeting, probably not even a thousand people. But it's a good opportunity to be involved in what's going on here and network. Plus there are continuing education courses offered.

The problem for me is a schedule conflict. The conference and a local horse show fall on the same weekend in October. For anyone else, this would be a no-brainer. I skipped the conference for the show last year, thinking I would go this time. Now I'm not so sure. Attending the horse show will cost more than attending the conference and accompanying hotel bill, so money isn't the issue.

None of the offered courses really interest me. There's an ethics course Friday afternoon that I'd like to attend. Given my experiences over the past year, I feel like an expert in the area. I also have some questions that I'd like answered. Saturday is a full course day. Naturally I'm drawn to anything neuro. Other than something concerning MS, there's nothing offered. The amount of ortho is overwhelming. Pediatrics is well represented. There's also something for educators.

I would die of boredom in an ortho class and don't know enough about peds to make it worthwhile to attend. I toyed with submitting a presentation proposal earlier in the year but didn't. I'm becoming burned out on that sort of thing and need a break. That also kept me from being obligated to attend if I decided I'd rather go to the show.

I submitted an application to a leadership training program. If accepted, I'll be expected to attend the entire conference. I want into the program so may just have to suck it up for a few days. It wouldn't hurt me to learn more about MS. My interest just lies elsewhere.

I'll email the leadership people and inquire about when decisions of acceptance will be made. If I go, I'd like to preregister. I would also volunteer to proctor whatever course I end up attending. There's nothing I can do right now except wait and see.


leave a comment

To prevent comment spam, please type the code you see below into the code field before submitting your comment. If you cannot read the numbers in the image, reload the page to generate a new one.

Enter the security code below:


About this Blog

Keep Me Updated