Happy Fall! It's time to fill our bellies with pumpkin, pancakes and everything warm and cozy! Pancakes are a fun easy food for kids (and adults!) to eat. They are delicious, can be nutritious, as well as easy to pick up making them a great finger food for little ones. Pumpkin
pancakes are the perfect breakfast for kiddos who need some extra fruit in their diet. Yes, pumpkins are a fruit, although they are often mistaken for a veggie!
So, if you are lucky enough to have a sister-in-law like me who scoops and purees her own pure pumpkin, then you can use the real deal. However, if you are short on time, then you can use canned pumpkin which can be easily found on any supermarket shelf this time of the year. I've used both and both work equally as well.
- Use your favorite pancake mix. I now buy a multigrain or whole wheat mix. It's an easy way to get more fiber into everyone's diet.
- Follow what the mix requires — eggs, milk, oil, water, etc. and simply add your pumpkin puree to the mix. You may need to slightly lessen the amount of liquid that the recipe requires so that the mix does not become too heavy — this is going to depend on the mix you use. Also, you can substitute apple sauce for the oil for some added flavor and nutrition.
- Mix everything together.
- Pour your pancake batter onto a hot skillet and cook thoroughly on both sides.
- Once your pancakes are complete, if you would like to limit the amount of syrup and butter you and your little one(s) are eating, you can always substitute with some warm apple or pumpkin butter.
Here are some fun ideas to make your pancakes that much more enticing to eat:
- Substitute pumpkin with other fruit purees (banana, squash, applesauce, etc.)
- Use raisins, nuts, fruit slices, etc. to make pumpkin faces on your pancakes
- Use cookie cutters to make different Halloween/Fall shapes in your pancakes (pumpkin, ghost, leaf, etc.)
- Add your favorite fall spices to the batter for added flavor: pumpkin spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla extract, etc.
Enjoy and Be Creative!!