Recipe: Sunflower Seed Snacks
A few weeks ago we had a visit from Greener Partners
, which isthe local farm that comes to visit our students about once a month. I wanted toshare with you the most recent recipe they made with us because it was sodelicious, and the kids really enjoyed both making it and eating it. Sunflowerseeds
are the main foundation of this yummy treat and are found at the centerof the beautiful and majestic sunflower!
- 1 cup of roasted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- ½ cup of sunflower butter
- ¼ cup of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Steps to Make Snacks:
- Pour the sunflower seeds into the food processor and blend until it has a mealy consistency
- Add in about half of the coconut and all of the other three ingredients (the sunflower butter, maple syrup and vanilla)
- Mix everything together in the food processor
- Give each child a scoop of the mixture and have them roll it into little balls
- Lay out the excess coconut and allow children to choose if they want to roll their sunflower snacks in the coconut to give it a crunchy topping
- Compare the taste and look of the sunflower balls with and without the coconut topping.
During the month of June, we read a book about sunflowersat school. We brought in sunflower seeds, held them in our hands and talkedabout how they looked. The book talked about how sunflowers grow to be very,very tall (often much taller than people). Sunflowers grow well in sunny spots but also need plenty of water.
When the farming ladies came to visit in June, they broughtwith them sunflower seeds, as well as very tiny pots and soil. Every child hadthe opportunity to plant their own sunflower seed in a tiny pot and take ithome. It was a big hit and really supported our curriculum at school. Therecipe, the book and the hands-on planting activity provided severalexperiences for our students that really helped the lessons come alive!
Over the next fourweeks I will be sharing simple, kid-friendly recipes using fresh anddelicious ingredients found in the RAINFOREST!