Happy Valentine's Day!
Valentine's Day falls on a Tuesday this year, so I thought
it would be fun to share some additional holiday-related recipes! It's not too
late to make these easy treats!
A HEART CAKE! Here is a fun and easy cake that you can make
at home with the family or in the classroom with your students:
You will need:
- A simple cake mix (I used a white cake mix, which called for
eggs, water and oil)
- Icing (I used a pre-made plain vanilla white icing)
- Fresh strawberries (washed and ready to go!)
- Pink and/or red sprinkles
Note: The vanilla
icing with the fresh strawberries is scrumptious and has become a family
favorite at our house!
the steps on the box to make and bake your cake. As you can see from
the picture, we used a 9x13 glass dish to bake my cake. I wanted plenty of
room to be able to decorate and put a giant heart on top!
time for your cake to cool and then generously spread on the icing of your
here is the fun part - slice your strawberries in quarters (I also cut off
all the greens).
your strawberry slices to design a giant heart. (It does not need to be
prefect! Have fun with it!) Using the rest of your strawberries, decorate
around the border of your cake (I love strawberries, so I wanted to use as
many as I could!).
the center of your heart with the sprinkles of your choice!
with LOVE. Eat and Enjoy!
JELLY-JAM HEART TARTS! Easy to make
toaster treats for home or classroom!
You will need:
- Prepared pie crust
- Strawberry jam
- 1 egg whisked (with a teaspoon of water)
- Clear sugar sprinkles
- Heat oven to 400° and cover a cookie sheet with
- On a floured surface, roll out the piecrust. Use a
heart-shaped cookie cutter (ours measures around four-inches wide) to make pairs
of hearts, gathering the scraps and re-rolling the dough as necessary.
- For each tart, spread two teaspoons of strawberry jam on
one heart, leaving a ½-inch margin on all sides. Brush the egg mixture around
the edge before placing a second heart on top.
- Use the tines of a fork to seal the edges.
- Brush the tops with more of the egg mixture and
sprinkle with clear sugar crystals
- Bake the hearts on the prepared cookie sheet until
their edges are just beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. Let them rest on the
sheet a few minutes, then move them to a rack and let them cool.
- Voila! You have your own little heart-shaped jelly-jam
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!