Recipe: Spinach Alfredo Penne
Here is a delicious dish I made last weekend for my sweet but picky 2-year-old and a group of girlfriends who came for a visit. As I have mentioned in previous recipe posts, my little daughter adores any type of pasta, which has become my secret weapon when attempting to imbed vegetables, poultry, meats and various new flavors into her diet!
Spinach Alfredo Penne
You will need:
- Fresh Spinach (I used the bagged spinach from the produce aisle)
- 1 lb of ridged penne pasta (I used a half pound of regular penne and a half pound of multigrain penne, which I think gives the dish more flavor and an attractive appearance)
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- 2 jars (30 oz) of alfredo aauce (I used Lite Alfredo Sauce by Classico in the 15 oz jars)
- Parmesan Cheese
- In a large frying pan, sauté an entire bag of fresh spinach in olive oil and garlic on medium heat until it is soft (about 5 minutes).
- In a separate pot, boil the penne pasta. Once pasta is done, drain and add it to the spinach. Mix the two together.
- Add the Alfredo Sauce and stir everything together on low to medium heat.
- Add additional garlic if needed and sprinkle in parmesan cheese as well. Mix everything together and taste along the way to make sure it is to your liking!
Additional Tasty Tips!
This dish goes great with chicken for some added protein. I like to cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and cook in a separate pan in parmesan, olive oil and garlic. Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, add it directly into the spinach and pasta. Mix everything together!
The cheese is important! I prefer real authentic parmesan or parmesan reggiano Italian cheese. The better the cheese, the better the taste!
Recently, I have been challenging myself to "eat more greens"! I love spinach, so the leafy green was a practical pick for me. Substituting the spinach with broccoli is also a really simple option.
I prefer cooking with ridged pasta rather than smooth because I think the pasta holds the sauce easier, giving each bite a savory burst of flavor!
After sampling this recipe, my friends commented on the delicious taste, and one emailed me the next day requesting the recipe! My husband ate the rest the next day, and it was just as wonderful! Enjoy!