Magnificent M&M Milkshakes
It's "M" Week at our school! Last week's post was chocolaty and low in sugar
his week's post was just as chocolaty however it does not cut calories.
The three main ingredients include:
2 cups of milk
2 large scoops of vanilla ice cream
A medium sized bag of M&M chocolate candies
(Milk, ice cream and candy amounts needed will depend on how many will be drinking the milkshake!)
You will also need: a blender, an ice cream scooper, a measuring cup, small wooden mallets or play hammers, small Dixie cups and small Zip-lock sandwich bags.
- 1. First, we placed a handful of M&M's into the Zip-lock bags (one for each student!) and zipped them closed.
- 2. Next, the students were instructed to MASH the M&Ms with a hammer, all while singing the following jingle: Mommy Made Me Mash My M&Ms to the tune of "Do Re Mi"! The students loved MASHING away at their candied coated chocolates!
- 3. Next, we took turns scooping vanilla ice cream into our MIXER
- 4. Then, we took turns pouring the MILK into our MIXER
- 5. Finally, the children came up one-by-one and emptied their MASHED M&Ms into the MIXER!
- 6. Lastly, we turned on the MIXER and watched it MIX and MASH our ingredients together!
- 7. We poured a small portion of the MILKSHAKE into Dixie cups and distributed to each student so they could taste a sample of the oh-so-yummy M&M MILKSHAKE that they MASHED, MEASURED and MIXED!
Additional Recipe and Therapy Tips:
- This is a delicious and easy treat to make at school or at home!
- M&Ms can be substituted with any candy to honor the letter or theme of the week at your school!
- Using hammers, scooping ice cream, pouring milk and opening and closing Zip-lock bags are all wonderfully hands-on activities to hold student interest AND exercise OT skills!
- Don't forget to SING! The little ditty MOMMY MAKES ME MASH MY M&Ms is a wonderful way to practice saying the /m/ sound, stringing words together and adding to the fun! Have each student sing a solo and let their speech skills really shine!