Recipe: Simple Pumpkin Cookies
October has arrived! My favorite month of the year for many reasons - cool weather, Halloween and delicious heart-warming meals! I also love pumpkins and will be sharing several pumpkin-based recipes over the next few weeks.
Today's cookies are easy to make and are simple enough for the classroom setting if you have access to an oven. A tip: Remember to separate ingredients into WET and DRY categories - this will help children with sorting and describing, as well as breaking down the recipe into two categories.
Simple Pumpkin Cookies
You will need:
½ cup of softened butter
¾ cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 cups of pureed pumpkin
2 ½ cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and let the butter soften to room temperature.
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and the sugar. Using a mixer may work best and is fun for students!
3. Crack open and beat the egg into the mixture
4. Add in the vanilla extract and pureed pumpkin. Mix all these WET ingredients together until smooth!
5. In a separate bowl, add in one by one, all the DRY ingredients. Take the time to measure out each ingredient and allow the students to delve into this process, measuring and pouring each one.
6. Add the DRY ingredients to the WET and mix everything together.
7. Using a teaspoon, place a spoonful onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, let cool and enjoy!
For added flavor: Add in some dried cranberries or raisins. Chopped pecans are also a nice addition! Cream cheese frosting on top will compliment this cookie with the ultimate sweet treat. Below is a simple homemade cream cheese icing recipe:
½ cup of butter softened
8 ounces of cream cheese
4 cups of confectioner's sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
Directions: Beat the butter and cream cheese together. Pour in the vanilla and slowly add in the confectioner's sugar one cup at a time. Mix everything together and spread on top of your baked and cooled cookies!