Recipe: Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts
I have been looking for new way to cook Brussels sprouts for my family. After researching some different recipes, I decided to mix a few together and create my own! The bacon and mushrooms add a nice meatiness to the sprouts, while the cheese and butter help to unite all the flavors together.
Hope you enjoy!
Cheesy Bacon and Mushroom Brussels Sprouts
You will need:
1 and ½ lbs of fresh Brussels Sprouts
½ lb of low-sodium Bacon
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 cup of small portabella mushrooms cut into small pieces
1 cup of shredded Asiago cheese
A pinch of Pepper
2 cups of low-sodium chicken Stock
1. Wash and cut all the Brussels sprouts into four quarters. Let them dry thoroughly on a paper towel and then place them to the side.
2. Cook the bacon by placing it in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat and flip the pieces consistently so they cook and brown evenly. Cook until crispy, but not burnt
3. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and lay on a paper towel to soak up the grease. Pour almost all of the grease out of the skillet leaving just a coating to help add flavor and to prevent burning for the rest of the dish.
4. Add in an tablespoon of butter and olive oil and have them melt together in the pan.
5. Stir in the cut mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
6. Stir in the Brussels sprouts and mix thoroughly so that they are completely coated
7. Add the chicken stock by pouring in both cups.
8. Bring the stock to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the Brussels sprouts soak up the broth and are tender, yet still slightly firm, about 10 minutes.
9. Break the bacon into tiny bits and add to the halved Brussels sprouts in the pan and stir.
10. Add in the pepper and shredded cheese. Mix until cheese is melted.
11. Serve as a delicious and flavorful side dish!