Welcome to the first of my three summer pasta salads that are perfect for picky eaters! Each of the three pastas presented are specially designed for small hands and delicate taste buds. All of the added ingredients should be cut VERY small so as to not become a choking hazard for young children.
Today's recipe presents a delicious mix of four vegetables, as well as touch of bacon and cheese to add zest and texture to the dish!
You will need:
1 and 1/2 cups of Rienzi's i bambini mini pasta "fusillini" made with spinach and zucchini
½ cup of cooked and crispy bacon broken into small pieces
Diced fresh tomato
Pepper for seasoning
1. Follow directions on the box and boil the mini fusillini pasta.
2. Cut the broccoli so that it is mainly small florets. Steam the broccoli and set aside
3. Bake the bacon at 400 degrees in the oven for about 20 minutes on a baking sheet until crispy. Let cool and break it up into small bits and set aside.
4. Dice the tomato into small tiny pieces, removing the seeds along the way. An easy way to do this is to slice the tomato into 4 quarters and squeeze the seeds out of each quadrant and then finish dicing
5. In a large skillet lightly greased with olive oil, pour in the cooked pasta, the diced tomatoes, the bacon bits and the steamed florets.
6. Warm over low heat, mixing everything together thoroughly
7. Add the parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of pepper. Mix so that the cheese melts onto the pasta. Let cool slightly and enjoy!
For additional baby pasta-based recipes, visit the following blog links from October 2011, when I shared three delicious dishes each using one of Barilla's Miniature pasta options:
1. Piccolini Perfecto which included mini pipe pasta made out of carrots and squash
2. Easy Veggie Pasta which included mini farfalle (AKA bow tie pasta) made out of tomatoes
3. Mini Rotelle made with Mini Rotelle (aka mini wagon wheels) made out of spinach and zucchini
Visit http://www.rienzifoods.com/index.html for more information about Rienzi pasta products.