Recipe: Easy Veggie Macaroni and Cheese
This is the last of my three summer pasta dishes all made from Rienzi i Bambini Mini Pastas! This week's pasta of choice is the carrot and squash elbow macaroni
. Because this elbow macaroni is made with both carrots and squash puree, it tends to have a bit of natural sweetness to it. This recipe offers both the creamy texture of traditional mac and cheese, as well as a healthy twist that is sure to please everyone!
You Will Need:
1 and ½ cups of uncooked Rienzi i Bambini Mini Elbows with Carrot and Squash (they are a light orange in color)
2 tablespoons of butter
1 cup of milk
¼ cup of flour
1 cup shredded cheddar cheeses (use whole milk cheese)
1 cup cubed Velveeta cheese
Bite-sized steamed carrots. Use baby carrots to save time. Cut them into dime-sized pieces
Pepper and bread crumbs to season
*Optional: If you have a baby or toddler in the house and would like to increase this meal's nutritional value, add in a 4 oz container of pureed baby food. Choose a vegetable based puree that is similar in color and taste so that it blends well (for example, use pureed squash or carrots instead of peas or green beans. This is also a great way to use up extra baby food when transitioning to more solid textures.)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Follow directions on the box and boil the mini elbow pasta.
3. Cut the carrots and steam them until very soft (about 15 minutes)
4. Lightly grease a mid-sized baking dish with butter.
5. Pour in the drained, cooked pasta, the butter, milk, flour, cheeses and carrots, as well as baby-food if you prefer. Sprinkle on a dash of pepper. Mix everything together well.
6. Spread and flatten the mixture into the dish
7. Sprinkle bread crumbs across the top.
8. Place tin foil lightly on the top of the dish and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until all the cheese is melted and bubbly
9. Remove the foil and bake an additional 5-8 minutes until the top is lightly browned
10. Serve and enjoy!