Recipe: Icy Treats for Chilly Weather
Recently my daughter saw a recipe idea on television to make your own popsicles using an ice cube tray, tooth picks and plastic cling wrap. She came running into the kitchen so excited to tell me about it, wanting to try this oldie but goodie homemade popsicle process! So, after a little coaxing, I agreed and dug out my two pink silicone ice cube trays. We decided to make two different batches: The first using fresh not-from-concentrate orange juice and the second using grape and mixed berry juices. We made popsicles with the O.J. and made some really tasty ice cubes with the grape and berry juices.
This little project has quickly become the main focus of every meal for the past 3 days. She has asked for water with her fruity cubes and O.J. popsicles for dessert, consistently reminding me that they are "good for her" and "full of vitamins"! Although this would NOT have been my choice of treats for what is quickly becoming a blustery January, my picky eater loves every minute of it!
You will need:
- Orange juice or any juice of your choosing
- An ice cube tray
- Clear plastic wrap
- Pour the juice evenly into the ice cube trays
- TIP: Place in the freezer for about 1 hour. Remove and cubes should be slightly slushy.
- Cover with clear plastic wrap
- Place one toothpick into each ice cube/popsicle using the pointy end to break through the wrap (The wrap and slushy consistency should help hold the toothpicks in place)
- Place back into the freezer for about 3 hours or until frozen. Remove and enjoy!
TIPS to Make This Easier and More Fun!
- Try using silicon ice cube trays - they are fantastic! They bend and make it so easy to release the cubes. No more banging plastic and metal on your counter top. Also, the cubes tend to be smaller and more manageable for little hands.
- Try different shapes - Look for heart trays for St. Valentine's Day or shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day!
- Make your own juice or puree your own fruit and freeze it. What a great way to introduce new flavors and serve your little ones a healthy treat!