Recipe: Vanilla Cinnamon French Toast
During the summer months we often have more time home with family, school is out and vacations are in session! I really enjoy making a special breakfast for my little ones when I have this extra time. Today's recipe is a family favorite. It is warm and buttery, a perfect meal to wake up to any time of the year! My mom has been making French toast like this for decades and now my husband and my girls LOVE when I follow her recipe! My older daughter will even request it for dinner!
Vanilla Cinnamon French Toast
*The following recipe will make approximately 4 pieces of French toast
You will need:
- Healthy multigrain bread
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a medium sized cereal bowl, beat the two eggs.
- Add the cup of milk, vanilla extract and a dash of cinnamon. Mix everything together.
- Heat a flat skillet on the stove and use butter to grease and prepare for the bread.
- Once the skillet is hot and buttered, dip bread into milk and egg mixture. *Note: Do the dipping quickly, but thoroughly. Make sure all the bread is dipped so that it will cook evenly. Don't let the bread soak, it will quickly absorb the liquid, become too mushy and fall apart.
- Place on the skillet and cook on medium-low until golden and slightly crispy on the one side. Sprinkle the side that is up with extra cinnamon
- Flip the bread and cook on the other side. *Keep heat low so that the outside doesn't get too crispy leaving the inside mushy. You may want to add additional butter and cinnamon as the French toast cooks.
Serve with warm maple syrup and enjoy!
Looking for ways to add flavor and a burst of nutrition?? Try these tips:
- Replace butter on pan with a butter spray or use a butter substitute
- Add some sliced bananas with walnuts
- Other fruits that pair well with French toast: blueberries, strawberries and sliced apples and pears