Free Family Summer Speech Activities
Now that school is out (or almost out!), it's important to find ways to help your child practice his speech skills. Speech sessions often reduce during these hot months and some children may not even qualify for summer services. Don't let your little one waste hours of their precious summer sitting in front of the television or air conditioned mall! Get out and get active in your community! Here are some FREE ways to do so:
- Library - Many times local libraries will offer free activities and classes for young children. Two of our local libraries offer wonderful programs that center around music, art and of course, reading! They bring in a variety of guests that run different types of programs for varying age groups and really encourage parents to bring siblings and get involved!
- Local Park - Go and play and make friends! Many times when I take my girls to the park, other parents will strike up a conversation. Introduce yourself and model for your child how to meet new friends. Maybe even set a time to meet back at the park on another day and pack a lunch! I find that this is often a great way to meet people in our community and learn about different resources that may be available.
- Playdates - If you (or your child) are on the shyer side and prefer not to speak with strangers at the park, pull out the school phone list and call that friendly parent who suggested a play date months ago. This may be the perfect opportunity to reach out to other families and build those connections. Or, stop by a neighbor's house and invite them over for popsicles and sidewalk chalk! Be adventurous and create opportunities for your child to build relationships.
- Local Church/Community Organizations - Keep an eye out for festivals and special events! Our local church recently held a Strawberry Festival. Admission was free, as was the moon bounce and playground. Face painting was $1 and strawberries with chocolate cake and ice cream was $5. Our girls loved it and keep asking to go back!
- Neighborhood Flyer, Church Bulletin, Facebook - Not sure where to find these FREE activities? Again, check your library and church as well as convenience stores for local newspapers and flyers. Check out Facebook and see what is happening in your area! Opportunities are everywhere. Seize these days and enjoy spending time with your child while helping him to grow, explore and socialize!