Starting Off Right: A Personal Reflection and Reminder
Has school started yet where you are? Are you READY for a brand-new school year?
Now that I am working in both homecare and preschool I had very little vacation time this summer. Our homecare program runs 51 weeks a year, so even when preschool is on a break, I continue to see my homecare caseload. Now that September has arrived and the school year has officially begun, I look back at summer and it seems to be a bit of a blur. I was able to schedule in a few long weekends but there was no extended break during the warm 2014 summer months.
That being said, I am now faced with preparing for the 2014-2015 school year and trying to muster up the energy to do so! As in the past, I have created a checklist to help me get ready for the upcoming year so that I am proactive and ready for all the work challenges that await! I have found that when I strive to get organized early and lay a strong foundation at the beginning of the school year, everything goes much smoother.
Here is the checklist I created for NOW:
- Build a realistic schedule so that I can balance both my preschool and my homecare caseloads
- Send home a "Welcome to Speech" note to all parents!
- Introduce myself to all the new parents!
- Read over all IEPs and speech goals!
- Observe and informally assess all the new children!
- Clean out and put away data sheets for all the children who graduated!
- Create new data sheets for all my new students!
- Consult with colleagues - talk with the teachers about their schedules, collaborate and coordinate with other therapists - OT and PT!
- Stay on top of testing, report writing and drafting IEPs!
- Put time aside each week to plan for upcoming therapy sessions!
The school year kicks off today, September 2nd, so I will begin NOW to implement my New School Year "To Do" List! Share how you like to start off your school year....What are some mandatory MUSTs on your to do list?