Toca Boca has done it again! An amazing free app for the iPhone, iPod and iPad called Toca Monsters.
How it works:
- Begin by selecting your monster. Gomez is the brown monster, and Nebula is the blue monster.
- Choose from 8 ingredients to feed to your hungry monster.
- Prepare the food by choosing to cut, blend, boil, fry, mix or microwave.
- Feed the food to the monster.
How I use it:
I take screen shots of the food choices and screen shots of the appliances/food preparation page. We start by choosing the ingredients and then choose the items used to prepare the food. My students tell me what to do, and then they watch me do it on the iPad.
Goals that can be targeted:
- Following directions
- Vocabulary skills
- Social language skills - practice watching and reading the monster's nonverbal body language and make predictions if the monster will like the food based on reading their nonverbal cues.
- Core words - eat, like, stop, go, on, off, more.
- Descriptive language
Some of my favorite features of this app:
- The reaction on the monster's face when it doesn't like a food.
- The surprise you find when you boil the blue fire ball.
- Shaking the salt and pepper on the food and adding too much.
- Option to have only vegetarian foods (if selected in the main settings)
- Can be used to support any language.
- All of the language you can elicit when you use this app interactively!
Have fun selecting, preparing, and feeding the monsters!