AAC Evaluation: There’s an iPad App for That!
Do you find yourself searching for material to use when beginning an AAC evaluation? If so, I have good news for you, now you can use 1 app to help with this process. The AAC Evaluation Genie
is an informal tool that provides valuable information that can help with the AAC evaluation process.
Here's how it works.
It has 14 subtests that can be administered all at once or pre-selected on an as needed basis.
1) Visual Identification - examines the ability to visually track and identify an icon ranging in size (from 5" to 1").
2) Visual Discrimination - examines the ability to visually track and discriminate icons ranging in size (from 5" to 1").
3) Noun Vocabulary - examines the ability to identify nouns.
4) Function Vocabulary - examines the ability to identify the function of nouns.
5) Verb Vocabulary - examines the ability to identify verbs.
6) Category Recognition - examines the ability to identify categories.
7) Word Association - examines the ability to ide ntify a noun by it's associated function or feature.
8) Category Inclusion - examines the ability to identify nouns by category inclusion (i.e., "Which one is an animal?")
9) Category Exclusion -examines the ability to identify nouns by category exclusion (i.e., "Which one is not an animal?")
10) Pixon Core Vocabulary - examines the understanding of core words.
11) Unity Core Vocabulary- examines the ability to identify core words using Minspeak symbols.
12) Unity Icon Patterns-examines the ability to identify vocabulary organized by Minspeak Unity semantic/linguistic patterns.
13) Picture Description - examines the ability to describe pictures using AAC with MLU calculated in the data section.
14) Word Prediction - examines the ability to read text.
An added bonus is the comprehensive data collection system that can be opened in iBooks, saved in Dropbox or printed. Each time you start a new session the data resets for the new client.
This comprehensive app allows you to use it with AAC users of varying abilities. I have found this app to be a helpful resource with getting started in the AAC evaluation process and I'm glad to have this app in my AAC toolbox.