To Resolve or Not To Resolve
I hate New Years. I truly do. It is the time when you are inspired to make changes in your life. It is supposed to be a fresh start.
I always have lofty goals for myself. I am one of those people who is always trying to improve. So, this year, I do not feel that the status quo is a good thing. So, this year, I was thinking: what do I want to improve?
My friends on Binary Sleep have joined forces to lose weight on the million pound challenge. I know I could stand to lose oh, about 120 pounds. (I will admit to being on the round side.)
Part of the reason for this goal is because of a patient who asked me if I had sleep apnea. I told him I did not. I have had a sleep study and my AHI was 2.1. He proceeded to tell me that was impossible because I was so fat.
Well, yeah it is possible. Fat increases the chance of apnea but does not guarantee it. And that led me to the question, am I a sleep tech or a role model?
I am lucky I have a wonderful staff, present and past. I hope I have been a good role model to them. But am I a good role model to my patients as well?
As I am working night shift after working a day shift, going home and scoring, I can definitely say I am not. So here is my list of things I am going to do to make myself a better role model to my staff and to my patients.
- I am going to continue to lose weight with my friends so I can present a healthy exterior to everyone.
- I am going to get at least 30 minutes of sunlight every day. This comes from the article in the December issue of Sleep on helping night shift workers.
- I am also going to do at least five 5k races this year. That is how many there are at Disney if anyone would like to join me.
- I am going to have a more positive attitude. For those who know me I go back and forth between the cup is half empty and the cup is half full. I have some wonderful websites for motivation. If anyone wants them just let me know and I will post them.
- I will also learn something new each day. My favorite site to do that is Ted.com. It has 15 to 20 minute lectures from some of the most interesting people out there on every topic known to man and woman.
Well, that is about it. Anyone who sees me in three months we will see if I can do it. I hope you will share what you are resolving to do. You never know who might have some great advice or a great resources to help you.