Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Physician Assistant Name Change

Last post 06-04-2019, 8:05 AM by Terry Mulhern. 5 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  08-15-2011, 11:12 AM

Physician Assistant Name Change

The movement to enact a name change for the physician assistant profession is gaining steam. What's your opinion? Should PAs be known as "physician associates"?
    Michelle Perron
  •  08-15-2011, 4:17 PM

Re: Physician Assistant Name Change

Michelle

As a very near NP graduate (December), I was unaware of the movement of PA's wanting to change their title.  Why do they want to change?

I think you would have to be careful with using the word associates.  One of the definitions (adj) of associate is "joined with another or others and having equal or nearly equal status."  This as you may or may not know is not the case in regards to the physician/PA relationship.  Then again one of the other definitions (noun) was "a companion."  Are there any other buzz words being thrown around?

Thanks
    Angela

•  08-22-2011, 9:33 AM

Thanks for your reply Angela. You'll find more information on this topic in our September issue, which will be mailed later this week. The digital edition will be posted for online viewing by this Friday (Aug. 26). Check page 8 for the latest news on the name change movement.
    Michelle Perron
  •  11-16-2011, 11:02 AM

Even, I had the same question. Thank you guys for sharing the info.

Read more on how to become a physician assistant
  •  01-11-2012, 9:07 PM

I did not know that they were wanting to change the name of physician assistant. The title "Physicians Associate" might make people think they are just a different form of doctor instead of a physicians assistant. I think it would cause too much confusion and might not be such a great idea.
  •  06-04-2019, 8:05 AM

Is it connected with Interprofessional Education? I applied for the course and DScPAS program at MCPHS. How can I apply for interprofessional internship (simultaneously)? 
    Medgeeks program for students and online dissertation writing service courses