Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Just starting coding classes

Last post 08-14-2019, 5:22 AM by Irma Rich. 10 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  06-20-2012, 4:07 PM

Just starting coding classes

Hi I have just began my journey into learning about coding. These books look like catalogs. But it seems so interesting and I feel this field is going to be really growing in just a short time. If anyone has any advise for me it will be greatly appreciated.
  •  07-20-2012, 2:16 PM

Re: Just starting coding classes

I am in my third of four quarters of actual classes.  I have one quarter that I will be doing an externship.  First don't get overwhelmed by the way the books look.  They aren't as bad as they seem.  Second at the beginning of every section there are guidelines, make these your friends because they tell you the little rules about how to code correctly.  what also helped me with my CPT and ICD-9 books was I tabbed them.  With the ICD-9 book I did it by the code ranges each color section is a new range of codes and my CPT book i did it also by chapters but I just labled them by name, Integumentary and so on.  It makes the books a lot easier to use and when you get more into your classes and really start looking for codes you'll be able to find them quicker and easier because your chapters are marked.  Also my program director offered a workshop on highlighting, she went through and we highlighted some of guidelines that are used most frequently and overlooked the most that has also made it easier to code with my books,  You might talk to your director about some resources they could give you to help do it. 

Just don't let yourself get discouraged or overwhelmed, once you get used to the books they become your friends and with healthcare changind so much even coders who have been doing this for 20 -30 years don't know it all. 

•  08-02-2012, 12:15 PM

This is also my first time in this class... I first thought omg this book is huge, but after we start going over the information i really think its going to be interesting. So good luck to all that has started this class. Keep pushing forward and don't give up!!!!!!!
  •  08-02-2012, 12:31 PM

Hello, I also just began my coding classes I'm so excited. Yes, the books are like catalogs, but from past experience at my other school it  seems to be farely easy just make sure you have exact procedures and follow the books as directed from your instructor.  I hope you will become as exicted as I am about this learning experience.  Lots of luck to you and if you have any good advice for me please email me at the address listed.

•  11-01-2012, 12:57 PM

Hi Nicole. I realize you posted this months ago, but since I am just starting my coding classes, I found your tips quite helpful! Thanks!

Rolene
  •  11-03-2012, 12:35 PM

I found your post to be very helpful as I was a little overwhelmed as well starting this course with all of the textbooks. I will be using some of your tips to help make this course easier as I found them to be very helpful.
  •  11-03-2012, 7:39 PM

Thanks so much for your post giving me the idea of tabbing my books and using my guideline in every section is really going to help.
  •  11-11-2012, 2:31 AM

I agree. In my experience I was taking a medical coding class that consisted of three courses. Of course by opening up the first few pages of both my cpt and icd books I was overwhelmed. I thought I would never figure out how the organization in these books worked. But my teacher had our class put tabs throughout the books. these tabs helped me were done either through alphabetically or numerically. Once I started to understand the structure of them I was able to whip through the pages and find what I needed. I did not have to waste time and I avoided unneccessary frustration.
  •  12-07-2012, 8:51 PM

I agree with Lorraine in that it can be scary.  It is a very good idea tab the areas in the coding book that you will use often.  Also, know that you will not be able to remember all of the coding rules by heart.  It is not humanly possible.  You just have to know what resources you have and how and when to use them.  I have done coding in the past, but I am currently enrolled in the HIMS program with a coding emphasis.  At the end of my schooling, I will be taking Coding I and II and then taking the CPC prep course.  Once done, I will take the exam to become CPC certified.  Hopefully that will open more doors for me at the CPC designation is pretty important.  Just don't get overwhelmed!!!
  •  12-19-2012, 9:29 PM

I also just started coding.  I had to complete anatomy and physiology first, wow that was really interesting.  I am now in my first week of coding, we are using the book  3-2-1 Introduction to Coding, and I also was given all the reference books.  Your right it is very interesting and I am looking forward to learning more.  It seems a little intimidating too but having others on this forum to go to for support is going to be a huge help.  I don't have any specific study advise but to say hang in there.
  •  08-14-2019, 5:22 AM