Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Pennsylvania Nurses: Are you having the same problem?

Last post 10-16-2008, 12:53 PM by Brandon Szalai. 0 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  10-16-2008, 12:53 PM

Pennsylvania Nurses: Are you having the same problem?

This is for all you Pennsylvania Nurses out there. I am attempting to compile a list of nurses who, unfortunately, have something on their criminal record. I am looking for nurses who's convictions are 20 years old or older. As we all know, the Older Adult Protective Services Act that when into effect back in 1996 is pretty specific as to who and where you can work if you have a mark on your background.

At first this wasn't a problem because they had the time period clause in there. Anything older than 10 years or if you have worked at your job for more than 2 years you were safe. Then they amended the Act and removed the clause. Now, if convicted of anything on the list you are basically screwed. There isn't even an appeal process.

If, like me, you have done your research, you know about Nixon vs. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. This group of people successfully sued the state and won. The state supreme court deemed the Act unconstitutional. Now, the legislature has shelved the Act until they can re-amend it. There hasn't been any action on this since 2004.

So far, the only way to obtain relief from this is to either file for a governer's pardon or sue the state. Only those named in this suit have relief from this Act. The rest of us do not.  It's about time the state re-amends this act.

I would like anyone who is suffering from this to contact me directly so we can kick-start a campaign to resolve this issue.  You can contact me at: baszalai@speakeasy.net