Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Tips

Last post 10-17-2008, 9:16 AM by Lisa Vaccarielli. 5 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  06-03-2008, 10:42 AM

• Ro is not online. Last active: 06-27-2019, 5:44 AM Ro
    • Joined on 01-03-2008
    • Bloomingdale, NJ
    • 2 Posts

Tips

I am a newly licensed LPN - first job ever began 2/5/08 - every other weekend.  (I currently hold another position 40 hours a week outside of healthcare which frankly pays the mortgage.)  I love nursing and wish that my circumstance be different that I would be able to devote 40 hours a week to it...but it is what it is...and that is not sarcasm, just fact.

Anyway -  I recently received my 45 day evaluation.  Out of a possible 6 points, I got a 2.  The more experienced RNs (they did not perform the orientation with me) told me not to worry about it because I am a brand new nurse in a skilled nursing facility with 20:1 ratio (3 aides usually).  The evaluator has passed meds with me approximately 3-4 times.  Her criticism - which I take as constructive - was that my med pass is too slow with no technique, no confidence because I check & recheck the MAR (and I do that).  No mention to my charting abilities, patient interactions, GT care, colo/ileo care...which I am competent at and complete every shift I work.  I complete most of my treatments as well.  Literally, the evaluation consisted of the slowness in my med pass only.

Needless to say, I am very upset and am looking for ANY tips.  The RNs which I work with all told me to keep going with what I am doing, the evaluate was harsh because it did not consider ANY other aspect of the duties I perform.  However, I still would like helpful hints, tips, anything, that would help me improve.  I greatly appreciate all....thank you!

•  06-19-2008, 10:42 PM

Re: Tips

Don't sweat it. Many RNs "eat their young". You still have a job, don't you? It takes time to accumulate years of experience so just hang in there. In time you'll find that you will be able to do your med pass faster and accurately. As long as you're doing the right thing don't worry about what other people think of you. I suggest that you stay at one facility for a few years. It looks good on your work history.
  •  07-29-2008, 7:47 AM

Quite frankly I don't see you doing anything wrong. You are passing meds like we all learned to pass meds, very carefully. Long term care is such that there is never enough time or staff to do all that needs to be done. But when it boils down to it, med passes are probably the most important part of your job. When you feel pressured to hurry, thats when mistakes are made.

Stand your ground, and remember why you became a nurse.

Developmental Disabilities Certified
  •  09-16-2008, 1:40 PM

Keep doing what you are doing and don't sweat it. If you are only working there on the weekends, not only are you doing as you were taught, but also very cautious.
  •  09-22-2008, 9:41 PM

Ro:

I recently received my 45 day evaluation. Out of a possible 6 points, I got a 2.  The more experienced RNs (they did not perform the orientation with me) told me not to worry about it because I am a brand new nurse in a skilled nursing facility with 20:1 ratio (3 aides usually).  The evaluator has passed meds with me approximately 3-4 times.  Her criticism - which I take as constructive - was that my med pass is too slow with no technique, no confidence because I check & recheck the MAR (and I do that).  No mention to my charting abilities, patient interactions, GT care, colo/ileo care...which I am competent at and complete every shift I work.  I complete most of my treatments as well.  Literally, the evaluation consisted of the slowness in my med pass only.

Ro, that does sound harsh, and I think it is harsh.

I was taught that every medication has to be checked at least 3 times.  The first time when one removes it from the cart to compare to the MAR order.  Second when the medication has been put into the dispensing device, and third when it is given.  (we were taught to record on a card the order with the patient's name, so we could do a bedside check for that third check.)  The fourth that I always use is to compare the card back to the MAR at the time I chart the medication as given.  That last check lets me catch any error I may have made and that got by my other three checks.  Have I caught myself on that fourth one?  Yes, a few times.  Appropriate action was then taken and the patient was not harmed.  It underlines for me the need to be that detail oriented, no matter how many people consider us anal for doing so. 

To have omitted your other qualifications and competencies seems to me to be one sided.  From the sound of your note, you are more than capable and competent to be a nurse.  First evaluations are often on the low side because there is little data for the evaluator to review.  A first evaluation has been explained to me as being a base-line against which subsequent evaluations are compared.  If that is the case with your review, then maybe you got a favor, a 'freebie' so to speak, because it is much easier to rise above a 2-out-of-6 than it would be to improve from a better evaluation score. 

Ro:

Needless to say, I am very upset and am looking for ANY tips.  The RNs which I work with all told me to keep going with what I am doing, the evaluate was harsh because it did not consider ANY other aspect of the duties I perform.  However, I still would like helpful hints, tips, anything, that would help me improve.  I greatly appreciate all....thank you!

Even with the upset and hurt that comes with that kind of evaluation, you are still looking for help, advice, tips, and anything that improves you as a nurse.  That, in my book, makes you one wonderful nurse.  Hang in there, do your best, and keep on learning.  My bet is that it won't take long before you are a better nurse than most who critique you now.

•  10-17-2008, 9:16 AM

Dont sweat it.  Your a newbeeee.  No one ever gets a perfect score.  If she didnt comment on your other skills, that means you are doing fine in those areas.  Work on building your confidence with the meds.  You will get the hang of it.  Trust me, the evaluator had the same problem when she was a newbeee,