Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Credit reports during applications

Last post 10-22-2008, 10:12 PM by Jacqueline. 4 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  10-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Credit reports during applications

During the last few weeks as I filled out employment applications, part of the new application process is not only a criminal background check, but also a credit background check. I recently requested a 3 in 1 credit report (Equifax, trans union etc) and sure enough two prospective employers checked my credit, one of them being a nursing agency. I have a big problem with this. In todays' society where identity theft is on the rise, why in the world would an employer check your credit rating. This has NO bearing on my nursing practice or my job performance. The State of NJ needs to put a stop to this intrusion of privacy. Has anyone else noticed this practice while filling out an application?
  •  10-20-2008, 7:32 PM

Re: Credit reports during applications

wow,  I heard of jobs checking on your credit.  but those jobs were areas where it would involve money.  never would I thought about healthcare.  I just started selling Avon and would you believe they did a credit check!!!   others on the subject???
  •  10-22-2008, 5:39 AM

It's not just nursing jobs that are doing credit checks.  A lot of businesses do that now.  They figure if you have bad credit, you're more likely to steal, and who knows what else they are concerned about.

I don't like them checking my credit report b/c every time anyone makes an inquiry to your credit history for anything, it lowers your credit rating.  If you're trying to get a loan or credit, it could prevent you from qualifying.

You might try telling employers if they want a credit check to let you do it and provide them with a copy.  Your credit score isn't affected if you look at it.

•  10-22-2008, 7:04 PM

Employers are doing this and you are right as far as the reasons. I think it is over the top but, it is what it is. At any rate, inquires like this are called soft inquires and do not affect your credit rating like an inquiry from a bank or loan company does.  
  •  10-22-2008, 10:12 PM

It sounds like it's not a bad thing really, if it is what the other poster wrote: that is it doesn't affect you credit rating.  I think the prospective employer is probably NOT hypothesizing that you'd be apt to steal.  I think it is more likely the employer is thinking if you pay your bills on time you will also come to work on time and be a reliable employee.  In today's dog-eat-dog world, I'd say that's a pretty smart employer.  But as an employee, it stinks.