Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Need Advice!

Last post 12-15-2008, 4:29 PM by cgryder. 2 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  12-10-2008, 10:54 AM

Need Advice!

Hello everyone.  I am in  desperate need of some advice.  I graduated as an LPN about a year and a half ago.  I had a baby after graduation and have been searching for a job for 5 months now.  I maintained honors throughout my course of study.  I even volunteered at a hospital while I was going to school.  I pasted my exam after only 60 questions. But none of this matters because it seems that no one wil hire me.  I'm trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong. Is it because i took a break after i graduated?  Should i take more classes to show employers that I'm doing something?  Is it my resume?  Come on! I studied so hard and now I'm losing confidence in myself? I'm even thinking of going back to school for my RN. Any advice would be helpful.

laura12
  •  12-10-2008, 8:06 PM

Re: Need Advice!

Laura,First of all, congratulations on the baby AND joining the nursing field. Second, DO NOT lose confidence or doubt yourself.  EVER!  I've been an LPN for 20 years and I've seen a drastic decline in the need for us other than in nursing homes and doctor's offices.  I've worked in both.  I have returned to school to get my ASN so I can keep my job at the hospital I work for.  Employers are looking for RN's now.  Period.  Go back and get some pre requisites done, spend time with your baby, and don't give up!  I'm sure I upset some LPN's with this response, for that I apologize.  I'm proud to be an LPN, I love what I do, but the "powers that be" will no longer let me do my job without an RN behind my name.

Best of luck to you. 

•  12-15-2008, 4:29 PM

Re: Need Advice!

First of all I have to ask, what area of nursing do you wish to work in? Frankly, it surprises me that you are having such difficulty. In my area if you walk into a long term care facility particularly, as soon as you announce you are an LPN, they will put you to work almost immediately.

But, if you seek hospital work, no they do not hire LPN's as readily. MD offices do, but in my experience, in this area anyway, the pay leaves alot to be desired.

As for advice, I don't really have any without knowing more about your situation, but I will agree, don't ever doubt yourself or your abilities, and Hang Tough!

Developmental Disabilities Certified