Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Nursing shortage?

Last post 12-30-2008, 1:08 PM by Nanah Sillah. 6 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  10-06-2008, 7:33 PM

Nursing shortage?

I have been an LPN Team Leader in Geriatric Nursing for over 30 years, and at this point in my life and seeing the Nursing profession change over the years, I am a bit disgruntled, and I am wondering if I am alone.  An Injury has changed my Nursing career. I fractured my hip/acetabulem while walking my dog, and had been out of work on Long Term Disability for 3 years.

Recently, after having a physical therapy evaluation, it was determined that I can go back to "light duty" work, hmm, sounds like an oxymoron to me, what Nursing jobs are considered light duty??

I have been out pounding the pavement looking for a job for over 2 months! I can no longer work in Long Term Care due to the sheer physical aspect of it, as I have been told that I cannot lift greater than 15 lbs! I am now pursuing Assisted Living communities.

So, what am I supposed to do? I have many resumes out there in the universe, no takers, so far. A nursing shortage, I think not, especially for LPN's.  It seems that their is a shortage of RN's and those with advanced degrees only.

Hey, what's a gal to do? Any suggestions? I need help, I need a job.

•  10-07-2008, 6:05 AM

Re: Nursing shortage?

I work in an outpatient detox center/ Methadone Maintenance as a LPN and basically it is a desk job. There is no lifting and basically sit the entire time. Its about the easiest nursing job you could get. My friend works at a company where she reviews medical charts for insurance companies and there is no patient care involved. Just thought I would give you a couple of suggestions and good luck in your job search
  •  10-15-2008, 5:13 AM

I  agree with you Gail. I left my last job in May of this year due to a conflict of interest ( I got tired of shipping out patients that have been overdosed by the nurse that I was relieving). As of this date I have sent out 158 applications and faxed out over 40 resumes. Although I have been an LPN for 20 plus years, have credentials through Robert Woods Johnson Medical College, I have not been able to find a job. I attempted to sign up for unemployment, they told me I would have to find another job (duh!) work 4 weeks, and then get FIRED! I hear everyone talk about the "nursing shortage" but they all want RN's. In the South Jersey area, LPN positions are VERY limited. Most LPN positions are anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours away. I filled out an application and was told the interview would be held in Somerset (2.5 hours away and a 200 mile round trip) but the job was 28 miles away. I cant afford the gas to get to the interview. Most positions down towards the shore are all filled by mostly very limited english speaking RN's who tell me "I do not know what you speaking". I think LPN are slowly being phase out and being replaced by med techs. I am seriously considering changes in my career path. Wonder if WaWa is hiring? :)
  •  10-22-2008, 5:54 AM

I think they are trying to phase out LPNs, too.  I have lived here for 2 and 1/2 years and am on my second job.  But both times, it took me 3 to 4 months to find a job.

When I was in school 16 years ago, they kept saying they were going to phase us out.  Another nurse I know has been nursing about 30 years, and she said she has heard the same thing since she bagan.  In my 16 years, it's never been this hard to find a job.

•  10-22-2008, 2:42 PM

I live in South Jersey, I moved here from Central NJ, and worked in the Princeton area. Back then I worked as a Licenced Optician. I always wanted to be a nurse, and I can only be studying to be an LPN w/ my young kids right now. I hope I'm not making the wrong career choice. I was just accepted into the LPN program at Camden County College. I start my clinicals in the spring. That's why I need to make as much money as possible. I was the one who inquired about specializing. Thank you for responding. I have worked in this area before I had childen, the job market is not as good as back North. I just don't want to go back to retail. I like the challenge, flexibilty and money in nursing, I think? Where are the best places to work in this area? Thanks,again!
  •  10-22-2008, 7:00 PM

Not sure what state you are in Gail but, you should try the Workforce or Worksource they call it in some states as well as DARS the Dept. of Asssitive and Rehab Services in your area. They should be able to assist you in finding some light duty jobs. Also, you ay qualify for asssitance to go back to get yoru RN. Then you could do case management, phone triage and other opportunties.
  •  12-30-2008, 1:08 PM

I don't know what state you live in but there are jobs look in the advance for nursing magazines they always have jobs. why don't you do home care some agencies that are in need will hire and train you i do peds i only take cases where i don't have to lift when they call you for a case ask about the pt. needs before taking the case.

I also know that due to the economy some nurses in my area are working several cases which makes it difficult to find work, most of the jobs out there are the hard jobs plus some facility are cutting back on staff, you may want to look at towns close by, home care agencies  assisted living, residential treatment facilities those jobs are not as stressful.  i live in a state that is close to 3 other states so if you have to travel at least an hour go for it. all the best