Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

School Nurse

Last post 02-02-2009, 2:10 PM by Sharon Pearson. 3 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  06-09-2008, 12:43 PM

School Nurse

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how you would go about becoming a 'school nurse'.   What kind of special certification or training do you need?  I am an LPN living in North Carolina. 
  •  11-04-2008, 10:19 AM

Re: School Nurse

I don't know about your state, but in PA, the schools only hire RN's (which doesn't make sense because all they do is height's, weights, call parents when child is sick, dispense meds etc.).  I worked for a year in a day care as a nurse doing these same things; I would love to be a school nurse (summers & holidays off with my kids, not to mention weekends.
  •  12-29-2008, 6:56 PM

I just seen an ad for an LPN school nurse, but they work under the direction of an RN. The ad says it pays 22.06 an hour (Reno, Nevada) and the job duties show: EXEMPLARY DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: Assists School Nurse with specialized procedures, problems and responds in emergency situations by the School Nurse. Performs the following techniques: gastrostomy tube feedings; catheterizations, and indwelling catheter care, colostomy and ileostomy care; tracheotomy suctioning, lifting and transporting, feeding. Monitors students during and after seizures; cleans up and cares for neurogenic bladder and bowel control problems. SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: Under direction of a Licensed School Nurse, renders specialized health care to physically, emotionally, mentally and multiply handicapped students and performs other health related, clinical and classroom duties as directed. Performs related work as directed.
  •  02-02-2009, 2:10 PM

Here in Florida mostly Rn's are used but in my county LPN's exclusively are used. We have a Rn coordinator but we run the clinics. I have been doing this for almost 5 years and love it so much I have decided to return to school for a transition program.  I would like to become a coordinator.  FSHA offers a school nurse certification but you have to be a RN.  We are hired by the state health dept. but in some counties the school board hires them.  However, the ones hired by the schools have lost their jobs due to the economical crunch.We do everything in the clinics and multitasking is a must.  The average school clinic in this county sees 60+ students per day for a variety of complaints.  Lots of paperwork!!!