Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

LPN TO RESIDENT SAFE RATIO'S

Last post 02-07-2009, 11:00 AM by Colleen Kissinger. 1 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  01-30-2009, 12:33 PM

LPN TO RESIDENT SAFE RATIO'S

Hi..

Can anyone tell me what is the SAFE ratio for LPN TO RESIDENT? I currently take care of 40 residents in a LTC facility. I am a new nurse and have my license for 17 weeks.

There is NO WAY I can do 2 meds passes, vitals, check O2 machines, feed them in dining room, do the 24 hour reports, chart, I&O's book, behavior book, blood glucose levels....etc.... in 8 hours...

Now I know from other posts LPN's are cutting corners. This flips me out. I am too new, with 7 weeks of orientation to feel comfortable to cut corners, when I have not mastered this job. I work 3-11pm shift and get out of work anywhere from 1am to 2:30am.. I am just too slow. And if anything happens in the interim, it takes me longer.

DO you have any advise for me? Do you know the safe ratio's?

Any suggestions will be appreciated! How do you do it? and is it worth it for me to stay  where I am or go somewhere else?

Thanks

JoBets

JoBets
  •  02-07-2009, 11:00 AM

Re: LPN TO RESIDENT SAFE RATIO'S

JoBets, You  might check with your state board of nursing - they should have some standards regarding staff to patient ratios. I'll bet there is a state nursing home commission as well - you could drop them a line. Your facility should have ratios posted somewhere, for work duty assignments.

If you do not feel that you can administer care safely, it is your duty to report your concern to supervisors, or their supervisors. This was drummed into our heads in LPN school (100 years ago...) - it is up to us to be our own advocates, as well as our pts'.

Does your employer not provide nurse aids or assistants? It's definitely too much work assigned for 1 person. I respect your concern, and can relate to wanting to protect your hard-earned license. If the situation doesn't improve, I would high-tail it out of there - life is short. But report them one way or the other - those patients may be at risk!

Colleen Kissinger, LPN