Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Do you feel your board of nursing is working for you?

Last post 02-19-2009, 3:55 PM by Chanel Wright. 10 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  05-30-2007, 2:07 PM

Do you feel your board of nursing is working for you?

What is your view of your state board of nursing? Does the board do a good job of representing LPNs in your state?
  •  09-12-2007, 2:40 PM

RE:Do you feel your board of nursing is working for you?

No comments on this one? So, I guess everyone is happy with their scope of practice in their state?
  •  11-18-2007, 10:42 AM

Re: RE:Do you feel your board of nursing is working for you?

In the state of Pennsylvania, I believe, the scope of practice for LPNs is commensurate to the amount of education the LPN gets to practice nursing. Remember the PN program is only 12 months long. My issue with the scope is that the facility you work for has the option to minimize (or maximize) it. It is generally the former, not the latter. I have seen a real decline in the quality of practical nurses over the years and it seems as though the PN schools are just "cranking" out nurses and thus lowers the higher standards that were so prevelant many years ago. It was much more selective. The entrance exam required an 85% or better to even get into the school. 15 years ago when I was a PN student the minimum passing grade was an 82%--your uniform couldn't be dirty, had to be pressed and the instructor brought white shoe polish to make sure your shoes were't scuffed. You could only miss class 2 days the entire year with an excuse and students couldn't smoke on school grounds. That discipline carried over into our clinical rotations and a lot was expected of us. You only had 2 chances to get "checked off" on a skill, or fail that section--given one opportunity to make it up at the end of the year before graduation and if you didn't get it right, you didn't graduate.

It is disappointing to see this trend. Perhaps this is a reason why facilities choose to restrict the PN scope so much.

•  02-26-2008, 2:27 AM

Re: Do you feel your board of nursing is working for you?

Tom,

It is a misconception that the state BON represents nurses.  They protect the public against poorly trained or incompetent nurses.  Never expect that they will go to bat for you if you make  a mistake for which you can be accountable.

•  02-26-2008, 7:45 AM

I agree, the BON does not represent us, they are to protect the public. However, I always say that I work for the BON FIRST, rather than for my employer, because without the board, I am nothing.
    Developmental Disabilities Certified
  •  03-17-2008, 11:35 PM

no.i feel we as lpn's need a change.we need to band together to get regulation changed to be grandfathered into the RN degree.
    jt
  •  04-20-2008, 10:15 AM

• Lisa Morell is not online. Last active: 06-12-2019, 9:22 AM Lisa Morell
    • Joined on 10-15-2007
    • MDS Coordinator, Certified United Nures Reform
    • Bridgeport, CT
    • 17 Posts

LPN's, Please visit our site and take our survey! We would appreciate hearing form you. http://www.ctnursereform.org

On-Line Petition http://www.petitiononline.com/lps2t/petition.html

Lisa Morell, LPN, RAI-C
    http://www.unitednursereform.org
  •  07-22-2008, 10:19 PM

NOOOOOOO!!!!!  I am trying to get my RN by going thru Excelsior, I have been paying RUE for their program,only to find out last week that my STATE BOARD will no longer after DEC, 2009 allow license from distant or online learning. There is no way I can be finished by DEC.2009. The Boadr says the program does not  have enough clinical hours.This seems so unfair. I work in a hospital as a staff nurse.I have called the state board of nursing office, never to get a real person on the phone.

UNHAPPY IN VIRGINIA

•  08-08-2008, 11:56 AM

i do not like the newruling in va about the cut-off deadline of dec 2009. i think that if you are already a lpn and have > 10 yrs of experienc that the bd should allow distacne learning.

i am very disappointed b/c i have talking to rue about going back to school. i am a single parent and i need to have income and can not afford to go to a campus for classes.

•  08-25-2008, 10:27 PM

I do not. When you get news from the board it is all about advance practice RNs I feel like they have no use for the LPN and I don't feel very respected.
  •  02-19-2009, 3:55 PM

Re: RE:Do you feel your board of nursing is working for you?

I attended an LPN program in New Jersey and it was 15 months long and very strict. I am meeting veteran nurses who don't even know labs, let alone lab values or standard procedure DNR and non-DNR patients who are crashing. That is scary because when I finally enter the professional scene for the first time, I wanna make sure I am continuing my education at work ( not "yes mam-ing" my orienting nurse even though in my head I'm scratching out everything she tells because it goes against whatever I learned school).