Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Hey nurses I need career advice.

Last post 03-29-2009, 3:29 PM by Jamie Paris. 0 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  03-29-2009, 3:29 PM

Hey nurses I need career advice.

Hey everybody, i've got some questions I was hoping you might be able to help me with.  I'm 27, M, and currently working as a chef.  It is a one-man line wherein you are by default the executive chef during the shift that you work.  I make an obscene amount of money for my qualifications (salary= to a little > $20/hr) but i'm often required to put in a 12 to 15 hour day.  The pace is incredible, the work is intense and I often recieve burns/injuries etc.  I need to get out, I want a family and a semi-normal life with good job security.

So, here's my question.  As an LPN (which I plan to do either way), would my skills as a chef be potentially marketable within the field?  For example, I live in Hilton Head, SC which is a retirement mecca.  Many of the elderly here can afford in-home healthcare.  Would it be possible to combine the functions of an LPN and personal chef?  Would it give me an opportunity to command a higher salary or would it even be a good idea at all from an employers viewpoint?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and thank everybody for all you guys do!

P.S. How hard is it to land a 12-hour rotation as an LPN?  I prefer longer shifts.