Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

LPN's scope of practice

Last post 05-04-2009, 10:38 PM by Thelma Hill. 14 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  12-03-2007, 3:12 PM

LPN's scope of practice

All I want for Christmas is that all states and places of employment become uniform in the scope of practice for LPNs.  The State Board may state  what  the scope of practice for the LPN is, but many employers decide to limit their practice, so LPNs are not working to the full scope of their license.  Uniformity for all states and all employers, so we can work to the full extent of our license.       Any feedback?
  •  12-03-2007, 5:05 PM

Re: LPN's scope of practice

Agreed!! I will soon be leaving a new job for just this reason. Any and all decision making and assessment skills are virtually prohibited in the group home I recently came on board with. This is my first experience in this type of nursing care. I even hesitate to call it nursing, as we are regarded on the same level as unlicensed personel. "If it weren't for the Gtubes " I was told, "a  resident program worker would be doing your job" What an incredible waste of nursing talent!
  •  12-03-2007, 7:21 PM

I agree, for instance an LPN can become wound care certified here in NJ, however my employer will only hire an RN, WCC for the position.  The inconsistencies between my "scope of practice" and employers policies and procedures are abundant.  I worked at a hospital for many years and the RN union demanded LPN's have strict limitations so hiring practices limited number of LPN's needed, and empowered the RN numbers, Strategic!!!!!!  Contrarily, my scope limits my assessing abilities, but who do you think does the admissions.....LPN's illegally convenient huh!  To reduce my frustration I am persuing my RN through my community college.  Happy Holidays, hope you get your wish!
  •  12-04-2007, 1:10 AM

Well quite frankly, be it state or facility, don't let it get you down. You're still a nurse. Sure, practice within your scope as mandated by the SBN and follow the procedures and policies in the facility where you work. But, at the the end of the shift leave knowing you did every thing you could for your patients. Don't let other employees make you feel less than the talented, caring individual that you are. You worked hard for your license. If it is the facility where you work making you feel that way, then leave, there are too many jobs out there, too many facilities that want good caring hard-working nurses. I am a 47 year old man working as an LPN. I have college educations in two other fields where I could be working. People ask me why I don't want to be an RN. I tell them because I wanted to be a bed-side nurse, not just a paper pusher. Besides, why would I go back to college to be an RN when I have other training to do work where I could make more money? I am doing all the nursing I want to do. I am very happy doing it. You should be happy to. Don't let others bring you down.
    Erwyn
  •  12-04-2007, 2:00 PM

I am not personally going through any problems.  The facility where I use to work ( 37 years in the ED ) is now limiting what LPNs can do because of a new director of nursing.  I guess I was just venting more so for my ex co-workers than for myself.  Although I have seen the descrepancy myself.  I just wish there was a uniform practice, so there would be no question of what one is  or isn't allowed to do.
  •  01-21-2008, 9:44 PM

i am always in a place where i am  not really understanding what my scope is.  Always in a position where i am feeling like my job is on the line because i am taking a stand not to do something that i know i should'nt be doing like acessing a central LINE  !!!!!!!!!!!   I  mean come on, it's not about what i am capable of doing, heck i have taught plenty of RN s   what to do and how to insert this and that, ( not bragging) trying to prove a point. Nursing is not what it used to be and honestly , no i  don't want to go back to school for my Rn . If i go back it won't be for nursing !!!!!
    God Bless !
  •  01-26-2008, 9:36 AM

IT'S A NURSING SHORTED AND PEOPLE ARE STILL TRYING TO PASS STATE BOARD FOR NURSING  SINCE 1988 AND THEY ASKS WHAT CAN I STUDY AND JUST SAY DON'T GIVE UP.

•  02-03-2008, 2:49 PM

I have been working as an LPN for nearly 30 years, now and I would like to know what else is it that you are doing, because each time I try to come away from the nursing part of my career, I have a tendency to go right back into where I left off at, is there anything a LPN can do other than push pills all day long.
    scshenault
  •  05-01-2008, 6:07 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I work in a doctors office and infuse IV antibiotics. They now want me to start infusing IVIG. I know in the hospitals LPNs cannot administer any blood products. The doctors assure me that as long as one of them is on the premises it would be alright. I've been looking on the internet for info on LPN's scope of practice and I also called the state board of nursing. And everything is so vague. Any suggestions?
    PattiLPN
  •  05-12-2008, 12:25 PM

Sadly for us Kathy, CT has the most limited scope of practice I have seen. According to the CT Board of Nursing, we may not assess patients, write/update care plans or make decisions regarding treatment. There are no advanced training programs for LPN's in this state to gain certfications to perform at a more advanced level (such as IV certification) that other states have. An LPN is not allowed to work without an RN present (except in homecare) in this state, not even in a doctor's office. The rules are widely disobeyed, but if you get caught you lose your license. We have no LPN association or other body to speak for us, so we keep on getting the shaft.
  •  05-23-2008, 9:39 AM

• Lisa Morell is not online. Last active: 06-12-2019, 9:22 AM Lisa Morell
    • Joined on 10-15-2007
    • MDS Coordinator, Certified United Nures Reform
    • Bridgeport, CT
    • 17 Posts

The time has come for our Legislators and Educators to address the considerable resources of the already educated, experienced, and available, LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE……….. learn more @ http://www.ctnursereform.org  We need your input and participation!

Sign our Petition, and forward it to all your colleagues, families and friends!  http://www.petitiononline.com/lps2t/petition.html

**LPN’s, Please help us collect data by completing our survey @ http://www.ctnursereform.org  and get your colleagues to also participate!

Lisa Morell, LPN, RAI-C
    http://www.unitednursereform.org
  •  02-09-2009, 9:09 AM

The scope of practice in my state says that LPN's may not do assessments or work on care plans, but the RN's say they cannot do it all and request that LPN's do it.  I work in LTC and we are always busy and short staffed. I feel that the LPN's have enough to do without picking up the work that the RN's can't do. I wory that all the LPN's where I work are legally doing more than they should, and being threatened with job loss if they don't do as they are told.
  •  03-28-2009, 9:49 AM

I agree 100% but how do we get the employers to open their eyes. Maybe with this economic times and the nursing shortage they will relook at the LPNS
    Jim
  •  03-29-2009, 10:30 AM

I have been reading the post and I am seeing the alot of the post here are very old. And I wonder how much we can actually change. We don't get paid enough, we have the same amount of work and responsibilities. And I also see what LPN"s can and cannot do and this does change from  state to state and facility to facitlity. Where does it end and who can fix it? As long as I have been a nurse, no one ever said, "well, help do something about it." Now since I have seen this site, can we all stand together and do something about this?
  •  05-04-2009, 10:38 PM

I have read all of the old posting. If we stick together alot can be done. I was recently informed at our LPN Forum meeting by the President of NJSNA that we should contact our Legislative Represenative of Human and Senior Services about our concerns. about not being allowed to practice within our scope and try to prevent hospital from allowing unlicensed personnal to preform our (lpn) nursing duties or allow our title of Licensed Practical Nurse to be changed to MT (multi-tech). We are not tech we are Nurses. The delegating of duties for LPN should be uniform across the states and the delegating process should not be interpreted differently from state to state. If we all contact of Legislative Rep. and voice clear, concise questions and concerns and most of all the clarification of our scope of practice. We as LPNs will be a force to reckon with.