Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

LPNS Must Stand Together!

Last post 06-23-2009, 7:29 PM by Judith Erban. 14 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  04-13-2006, 3:11 PM

LPNS Must Stand Together!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL LPNS:

LPNs have earned the right and deserve to have their voices heard!  LPNs are essential to the medical profession.  LPNs have got to have their interests protected by having representation, when nursing organizations...legislators...the government...and health agencies are all making decisions that affect the LPN profession and future!!!

This is where the National Federation of LPNs comes in!  The NFLPN watches your back! Everyone wants change, but are any of you members?  The NFLPN cannot support and protect LPNs without members!

It is soooo important for LPNs to stand up and be counted! LPNs deal with discrimination daily and we do complain about this....but only to each other, and on bullentin boards like this!  Very , very few of stand up and do something about it!  That has to change!!!

The NFLPN provides leadership, representation and guidance to our members.   IF you want respect, and to be treated fairly...do something about it!

Join the NFLPN - There are approximately 1.2 MILLION LPNs in this country....Just imagine the changes we could make by standing united and making certain your opinions are voiced loud and clear to the appropriate people!!

LPNs RULE! 

Call me at 1-800-691-7915 and join the effort!  Let's quit complaining and do something about it!!!! 

Thanks, Melanie from the NFLPN

•  05-09-2006, 6:33 PM

• marlynn312 is not online. Last active: 09-28-2007, 12:54 PM marlynn312
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Rn Lpn Educator
    • Anne Arundel Comm Coll
    • Glen Burnie , MD
    • 1 Posts

LPN's must stick together

What is the process for joining the NFLPN? I have been an LPN for 11-12 years, and although I still utilize my nursing background, I have been slowly but surely fading out of the 'true nursing arena'. I miss it a lot, but my finances dictate where I go. But, I do agree with you Melanie, LPN's have always been discriminated against, and I would like to help not hurt.

Mar-Lynn

Mar-Lynn Mickens
  •  08-10-2006, 1:56 PM

RE:LPNS Must Stand Together!

I have been a LPN for 20 years and was member of NFLPN but could not see any support for my local and state (Virginia).  All the power was in the RN's positions and the legislators and Insurance Companies are  behind the  the use of  RN's  for increasing COST.   YES< LPN's need to stand together but I think the local level need the power and then flow upward to National.
  •  04-23-2007, 10:45 PM

RE:LPNS Must Stand Together!

I agree with you completely. It saddens me to see the attitudes of the medical profession towards LPN's today. I recently cancelled my subscription to AJN magazine because of an article that made light of our education and capabilities. I have been a proud LPN for 21 years and have always wanted to join our organization, but due to financial constraints I have never been able to. I do want to encourage others to join though and remember that there is strength in numbers. we as LPNs have to remember that we're a family and must stick together to get things done.

Catherine

•  05-26-2007, 7:24 PM

RE:RE:LPNS Must Stand Together!

I whole heartedly agree with Katherine....We as LPN's need to stand up for ourselves... After all, we are NURSES too!!!!

It must have been fate/destiny.. what ever you wish to call it that brought me to this website.... as I was searching for info on how to address a situtaion that has been ongoing and came to a ''head' in the hospital ward where I work..... For as long I can recall LPN's have not been viewd as nurses at all... unless it is convenient for them (my supervisors/colleagues?) to say ...'well, you have a license - you can do it'.....

I have worked on the Maternal Unit at Elmhurst Hospital in Queens, New York as a LPN for almost 10 years now.... and for as long as I can recall, we have always call our selves the 'Low Paid Nurses - LPN'.... We feel looked down upon and treated as second class citizens, so to speak... The recent situation just verfied what we have feeling all along....

Where do I start.... Within the last year or so,  we managed to become the first city hospital to obtain the infamous 'Magnet Status'...At this time, we are all anxiously awaiting the dreaded  Jt Comm. visit - and in lieu of our Magnet Status- the Nsg Dept was giving out 'Excellence in Nursing' pins to the nursing staff.... I say 'nursing staff' with a lump in my throat, as the LPN's were exluded from being given the 'almighty' nursing pin and were given an 'Magnet Employee Pin' instead..... The manner in which we were 'pinned' was done in such poor taste.... The 2 supvrs stood there after pinning the RN's - held their papers up and whispered amongst themselves - pointing to an LPN - then went into the other bag and pinned us with the Employee Pin - telling to wear it proudly.... We were given a card of 'thanks' signed by all the Nsg Supvsrs... WHAT A SLAP IN THE FACE! Afer verifying my fears of what had just transpired, I proceeded to take mine off... I wrote a message to our current ADN - telling her of my disgust and feelings of how we as a group are looked down upon... I informed her that there was no way I was going to wear this pin to please Elmhurst and get us 'brownie points' with the Jt Comm. group.... She was so upset that she tried to contact me at home that weekend.... I spoke with her early that following Monday in our parking garage.... I told her that there is now no way I would consider staying here after my RN boards.... I finally managed to complete, what feels like the longest journey, to obtain my AS in Nursing (had to drop out of the program 2x bec of cars accidents)....To say the least she was very uspet- as she was not involved with the pins... The poor woman, she comes from the private section of nursing and does not always agree with how things are done... She is the proverbaial low woman on the totempole and has little leverage or say....

Now that I have bantered on and on... I wanted to know if anyone else out there has experienced something such as this.... and what they may have done to correct it....??????

I graduated second in my LPN class - I feel as if I am viewed as stupid and incapable of making any nursing decisions....Even though this occurred a week or so ago.... The hurt is caused is still there.... and I have come to find out from others in our dept that they have tried to speak up to the AED who was giving the pins out - only to be told they were not responsible....????? If they are not - then could someone please tell who is????

Many thanks...

Chris

chris
  •  02-01-2009, 1:24 AM

Re: RE:RE:LPNS Must Stand Together!

I agree with all of you! I am a LPN, and work for the federal government. The military RN's try their hardest to make me feel stupid and "beneath" them. It is so bad, I dread going to work. When we have inservices, they have a paper that says "professional" and "paraprofessional". The LPN's have to sign under "paraprofessional". I have lost most of my skills working in a military hospital. The RN's there do not let me take ventilator patients or any patients on blood pressure drips. I am frequently reminded that I am "just a LPN". I am not even allowed to take telephone orders anymore. It is very insulting. I  have been working in ICU for most of my nursing career, and know a lot more about critical patients than most of the RN's do. I get compliments from my patients a lot, and never hear about them from my supervisor. JACHO is coming, and got got "loaned" to another floor for God know's how long. I am a GS-06, and the nurse's aides are only a step below me. The RN's in ICU are GS-10's! I am so frustrated, I just want to quit, but don't want to let them win. This is verbal and emotional abuse. Don't know what I can do to stop it. Any of you have any ideas? Would greatly appreciate some informative input.
    Angela Rutledge
  •  03-28-2009, 9:52 AM

Re: LPNS Must Stand Together!

Is there a chapter in the state of Wisconsin?

Jim
  •  03-29-2009, 10:12 AM

Thank goodness someone else feels the same way!!!!! I have been a LPN for 24 yrs. and if I could get a dime for every RN that I have precepted and shown how to be a nurse I would retire! I have more skills and I have taken every CEU course that RN's take, I have ACLS, BLS, PALS and in the past, on several occasions, I have had my TNCC. I can orientate new RN's, a EMT can do initial assessments, but LPN's can't?

How many times have you heard, "oh, your just a LPN."? Way too many times. And our skills? No comparision. The legal difinition, and I am sure that it has changed is " one is a graduate from a accredited college or university and the other a graduated from a accredited technical or voactional school." But also, nursing orginaizations have stated that there has to be a difference between the two. It does not matter that LPN's actually have more patient training than RN's, and just as much classroom time, if not more. I have been in numerous facitilities that no longer have LPN's on staff, and patient care is really suffering. I go into facitilies and I don't tell them that I am a nurse, but I can see the difference.

I also wonder sometimes, about RN's sitting on state boards of nursing and making rules and regulations and do they have the knowledge to make these decisions? I worked with a male nurse, I like to say that he was a army nurse, and he began working with me in a very busy ER. His comment to me on the very first day was, "LPN's have no place in the ER, and I don't know why they have put me with you." Well to make a long story short, in a very few short weeks, he turned to my one day and aplogized for thinking the way that he did. Now he is a assistant DON of a very large hospital, and LPN's work ICU, ER, CVU, and sit on commitees. I hear from him occassionaly and we always laugh because of the first thing that he had to say to me was proven so wrong.

When asked why I don't continue to get my RN license, I can honestly say that I did go back to school, I did not finish. The course that the schools offered for LPN to RN was almost a insult to my intelligence by giving me courses that I felt that I was already proficient in or were presented in a way that was for beginners and not adjusted to the fact that I had already taken the course in LPN school. And then to, I worked with student nurses and even in the last level of clinicals, so many of them had no clue as to what would be required and the actual care of patients. So, to me, the RN programs that I have worked with are sadly lacking in nursing education compared to what the real like situations are.

I am a very good nurse. A very strong nurse. And a very intelligent nurse. Also, a very proud LPN!!!!!!

•  03-29-2009, 11:46 PM

You are absolutely right. That's why I joined 3 days ago. I have a lot to say. Even though New Jersey is not a affiliate state. I will support all the LPNs in the world. We must unite as one just like the RNs. This seperation between to LPN and RN need to stop.  We deserve repect we are professionals. We are nurses.

TANYA TATE NEW NFLPN MEMBER

disability-vs-fmla
  •  04-10-2009, 10:21 AM

If LPNs don't stand together,. we will end up being non-existent.  Are jobs are already being slowly eliminated.

Debbie.  LPN for 21 years

•  05-22-2009, 11:30 AM

Christine Kostolni:

I whole heartedly agree with Katherine....We as LPN's need to stand up for ourselves... After all, we are NURSES too!!!!

It must have been fate/destiny.. what ever you wish to call it that brought me to this website.... as I was searching for info on how to address a situtaion that has been ongoing and came to a ''head' in the hospital ward where I work..... For as long I can recall LPN's have not been viewd as nurses at all... unless it is convenient for them (my supervisors/colleagues?) to say ...'well, you have a license - you can do it'.....

I have worked on the Maternal Unit at Elmhurst Hospital in Queens, New York as a LPN for almost 10 years now.... and for as long as I can recall, we have always call our selves the 'Low Paid Nurses - LPN'.... We feel looked down upon and treated as second class citizens, so to speak... The recent situation just verfied what we have feeling all along....

Where do I start.... Within the last year or so,  we managed to become the first city hospital to obtain the infamous 'Magnet Status'...At this time, we are all anxiously awaiting the dreaded  Jt Comm. visit - and in lieu of our Magnet Status- the Nsg Dept was giving out 'Excellence in Nursing' pins to the nursing staff.... I say 'nursing staff' with a lump in my throat, as the LPN's were exluded from being given the 'almighty' nursing pin and were given an 'Magnet Employee Pin' instead..... The manner in which we were 'pinned' was done in such poor taste.... The 2 supvrs stood there after pinning the RN's - held their papers up and whispered amongst themselves - pointing to an LPN - then went into the other bag and pinned us with the Employee Pin - telling to wear it proudly.... We were given a card of 'thanks' signed by all the Nsg Supvsrs... WHAT A SLAP IN THE FACE! Afer verifying my fears of what had just transpired, I proceeded to take mine off... I wrote a message to our current ADN - telling her of my disgust and feelings of how we as a group are looked down upon... I informed her that there was no way I was going to wear this pin to please Elmhurst and get us 'brownie points' with the Jt Comm. group.... She was so upset that she tried to contact me at home that weekend.... I spoke with her early that following Monday in our parking garage.... I told her that there is now no way I would consider staying here after my RN boards.... I finally managed to complete, what feels like the longest journey, to obtain my AS in Nursing (had to drop out of the program 2x bec of cars accidents)....To say the least she was very uspet- as she was not involved with the pins... The poor woman, she comes from the private section of nursing and does not always agree with how things are done... She is the proverbaial low woman on the totempole and has little leverage or say....

Now that I have bantered on and on... I wanted to know if anyone else out there has experienced something such as this.... and what they may have done to correct it....??????

I graduated second in my LPN class - I feel as if I am viewed as stupid and incapable of making any nursing decisions....Even though this occurred a week or so ago.... The hurt is caused is still there.... and I have come to find out from others in our dept that they have tried to speak up to the AED who was giving the pins out - only to be told they were not responsible....????? If they are not - then could someone please tell who is????

Many thanks...

Chris

chris
    Interesting...I work at Queens Hospital, an affliate to Elmhurst.  I am not totally surprized to hear that LPNs were shunned for Magnet.  Our hospital is trying, also, but I don't support it because Magnet does NOT include all nurses.  In fact, Magnet even seems to snub ADN nurses...it is either BSN or bust for them.  I cannot in clear conscience support something that can possible terminate positions.
    Don't run from the storm, dance in the rain!
  •  05-22-2009, 7:55 PM

I have been an LPN since 1983 when we were valued employees.

Now,along with with RN's and C.N.A.'s undermining us as if we are incapable of making a simple decision or making us feel like we are inadequate my biggest pet peeve is when Nurses Day would come around i used to look forward to my special day for the blood,sweat and tears i endured the school raising 2 children alone working part-time. Well now i hate to see it come, we are lumped right in with the CNA'S and the are recognized with us. Or the doctors will say ,i need a nurse and there goes the CNA.............They even take it upon themselves to schedule my injections when they want them done.

WOW......I have been holding onto that a long time....it is time we take back our spot in nursing!!!!!!!

If any else feels the same i appreciate the feed back

Marie 

•  05-24-2009, 10:42 PM

Angel Rutledge,

You are a very pretty nurse. 

•  06-12-2009, 1:44 AM

• Martin is not online. Last active: 05-28-2017, 6:42 PM Martin
    • Joined on 06-12-2009
    • LVN Med/Psych
    • Self Employed
    • Hayward, CA
    • 5 Posts

I have been an LVN (in CA) since '92 and this is the first time I have heard of AdvenaceWebb.com or NFLPN.

I'll be looking into NFLPN. God know we need to become as organized as RNs.

ThanX Mel85for for the heads up.

50-1-50.com
  •  06-23-2009, 7:29 PM

Please read my blog from today 06.23.09 I will support our cause. Thanks, Judy
    Judith M. Erban, L.P.N.