Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Stroke rehabilitation - questions about adaption for improvement in training.

Last post 05-09-2011, 8:48 AM by Tom Gabrielsen. 0 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  05-09-2011, 8:48 AM

Stroke rehabilitation - questions about adaption for improvement in training.

Hello!
    I'm a newly graduated OT from Norway and currently working in an Acute Stroke Unit at a local hospital. I find it quite interesting working with strokepatients as they have a complex situation affecting all bodily functions and again their occupational performance. Our main concern in the acute stroke unit is assessing independency and cognitive functioning and the PT do the motor functions.

I have no experience in rehabilitation but I have a lot of questions, especially when it comes to evidence based practice. I had a question the other day when I was looking through some standardized outcome measurement tools and was thinking about how could I use this, and how to advance towards research at a later point. So I started questioning what we do at the stroke unit and how we can enable patients feeling of independency.

How much could/should we adapt the activities with compensatory methods throughout the patients day to give them the feeling of independency to further motivate remedial training in ADL?

Do any of you know if there are any research done on this questions?

Thanks in advandce :)