Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

New grad dermatology position

Last post 01-03-2013, 10:43 AM by Joel Ruiz. 6 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  09-14-2011, 11:53 AM

New grad dermatology position

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what is a good starting salary for a new grad in dermatology.  I have been offered 65K for the first 6 months, then 75K for the next 6 months, then 75 for second year and 85 for 3rd year.  Will get productivity bonus after 6 months and 30% of collected cosmetics.  Being a new grad, I have no idea if this is a good offer.  Cannot find new grad salary scale for derm anywhere. Also, will give me

15 paid days off

400 professional fees

1500 cme 

Need to give him a decision fast so any speedy help would be much appreciated.

•  09-19-2011, 8:17 AM

Re: New grad dermatology position

Nancy, you can find salary averages for dermatology practice in the 2010 National Salary Survey of NPs and PAs. The fact that this employer is laying out a plan for three years makes your case a little unusual; don't think that you need to find new-grad salaries to make a determination.What city and state are you in?
    Michelle Perron
  •  09-19-2011, 11:41 AM

I'm close to Ocala, florida.  Is this a good offer?
  •  09-19-2011, 11:51 AM

Just don't know if this is an acceptable starting salary. Turns out bonus does not start until after 1st year, not 6 months.
  •  09-19-2011, 11:00 PM

Hi Nancy

Are you an NP or PA?  Also could you clarify the first year salary information?  Do you mean that your first year you will make 75,000.00?  If so, that to me sounds pretty low, especially for a specialty practice.  I make pretty much that in one year at my hospital as an RN in the float pool.  I know that some have said I will probably take a pay cut in December when I graduate with my NP, and I always tell them not unless I agree to it.  As far as I am concerned we as mid-level providers (not really found of that title) have a huge amount of responsability as primary care providers and we should be compensated accordingly.

Also what about health insurance?  Tuition reimbursement? cellphone/pager fees? Subscriptions to Epocrates/Up to Date etc?  Just a thought.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Angela

•  09-20-2011, 4:13 PM

I am a  PA.  The offer is 65K for the first 6 months, then 72K, then the second year 75K and then the third year 85K.  A production bonus will bbe paid after the 1st year.  He will pay 1500 CME, 5 days CME, 15 days sick/vacation, 400 professional fees, liability insurance and health insurance.  It seems low to me but perhaps because I'm a new graduate?  He said that with production bonus I should make 120K.
  •  01-03-2013, 10:43 AM

Did you take the job?

Joel Ruiz