Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

NP Schools

Last post 02-19-2013, 12:28 PM by Christa Martin. 5 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  02-14-2011, 11:31 AM

NP Schools

I have been looking for online NP schools for Adult Health but haven't found much. Anyone have any recommendations to any good and reputable online NP schools. I am looking for online classes since I work full-time and have irrgeular hours which makes going to a traditional school harder for me.

Thank you in advance.

Anna

•  06-13-2011, 2:45 PM

Re: NP Schools

Anna,

I just graduated from Ohio State University with my master's of science (pediatric nurse practitioner program) and I know they are trying to put the master's program online. You may want to check it out - since I was pediatric focused I cannot speak entirely to the adult health specialty. In our pediatric cohort we had 2 students who completed their master's from out of state - so worth checking out!! Good luck!

Katie 

•  07-29-2011, 11:21 AM

Hi Anna,

Felician college in NJ has an online MSN program with Adult and family track. It is completely online and excellent professors.

Grace

•  08-04-2011, 11:43 PM

Anna

Congratulations on considering going back to school!!  I know that you are looking for an on-line program but don't completely rule out a traditional graduate program.  I am married with two small children and am in my last semester of an FNP program.  I have worked full time the entire time I have been in school.  Most programs now hold classes one day a week with clinicals being set up by the student with flexible hours as long as you obtain all the clinical hours required for that course.  With the increased need for primary care providers such as Nurse Practitioners, a lot of employers are encouraging their employees to advance their education.  The large hospital that I work for has been wonderful and are actually required to work with my school schedule.  I am not saying that it has been easy, but it will be so worth it when you have your advanced degree.  Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Angela

•  06-06-2012, 1:24 PM

I know you can purchase a guide to nurse practitioner programs on www.midlevelu.com. The guide gives information about online and on campus programs.

Also, if you are willing to study to become a Family Nurse Practitioner rather than an Adult Nurse Practitioner, you might have more options.  FNP is more popular so there are more programs to choose from.  Also, based on my personal observations, you may have an easier time finding a job as a FNP rather than an ANP as many clinics want to hire someone who is certified to see children even if this will not be a large part of your practice.  

•  02-19-2013, 12:28 PM

I agree with Erin. I am an Adult CNS and in my state I have prescriptive authority. I have practiced for the past 12 years in the role on an NP. However, it is difficult to find a position without FNP certification. I am planning to go back to school to complete a post-graduate certificate. If you choose an FNP program, you can still manage adults in an adult only setting, but you will also have the flexibility to work with children if a job you like is available.