Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Did you find it diffuclt to make the move to an NP position from a staff nurse role?

Last post 02-27-2013, 4:21 PM by Kristine Bamford. 3 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  07-12-2012, 10:08 PM

Did you find it diffuclt to make the move to an NP position from a staff nurse role?

While i'm looking forward to the challange and patient interaction that becoming an NP will provide and that I am now lacking as a staff nurse, I have fears of transitioning to a NP role where (1) I have A LOT more professional responsibiltiy and (2) My salary will remain the same or less.

Have any of you wrestled with the same emotions? I start my clinicals soon and am hoping I fall in LOVE with it. This will be motivation alone and will outweigh the reservations I have.

Hmphh..

•  12-28-2012, 10:30 AM

Re: Did you find it diffuclt to make the move to an NP position from a staff nurse role?

Lauren, I am having similar feelings as I too begin my first round of clinical experience. I am a FNP student at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska. I should mention that I had similar feelings of role confusion when I was transitioning from a CNA to RN. At this point I am hoping, as before, I will have a smooth transition into my new more-responsibility-filled role. I do have a question for you, what do you mean you will have the same salary? I am looking forward to an increase in my salary once I finish my FNP program.
    Joel Ruiz
  •  02-25-2013, 4:52 PM

Re: Did you find it diffuclt to make the move to an NP position from a staff nurse role?

I transitioned from student to NP in a specialty in the last few months. I went to school for FNP, however, found it difficult to find a job in that field. I was a little overwhelmed at first because my curriculum didn't include much information on my specialty. Don't expect an easy transition and to love it right away...keep an open mind. Learning a new career is time-consuming, frustrating, and draining. It takes time to learn computer programs, office policies, and to build relationships with your patients. However, it WILL be rewarding.

As far as salary, mine is marginally larger than when I worked as a nurse. I'm working more hours and took out student loans so the difference is not noticeable. Very frustrating to work so hard and take on so much more responsibility and not get rewarded financially.

•  02-27-2013, 4:21 PM

deleted