Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Coding Student- questions

Last post 03-19-2016, 1:46 PM by Emily. 1 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  03-17-2016, 12:20 PM

Coding Student- questions

I am wondering how hard it is to gain employment in this field. Most of the job listings are looking for people that have 2-3 years experience as a prerequisite to applying for the position. We do have an internship as part of our degree and certification process. How many of you were hired though the process of your internship? Did you move onto another place, or did you stay to just gain experience? I am also wondering how many of you work remotely from home? Thanks for your feedback.
  •  03-19-2016, 1:46 PM

Re: Coding Student- questions

I did some research and talked to a couple of old classmates that have recently gotten their certification. A couple of places are willing to stretch themselves to 1 year or under. AAPC offers a Practicode program that gives you real life experience and can help add that one year of experience for coders. From what others have said on the AAPC forums, they either get their foot in the door by starting in billing or apply for offices that have a coding department. Try to look for paid internships, get to know people you have your internship with, and make use of the people you know. My understanding is that hiring is based on knowing someone and networking yourself into a job. You may find a doctor's office that's willing to hire you base on your current credentials, but that all comes down to luck. My mother was able to get her job in Medical Billing and Coding because of an old co-worker and the doctor trained her at the job when she had no experience.