Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

New grad board certified FNP can't get a job

Last post 04-28-2016, 1:08 PM by kamal sakato. 11 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  08-24-2011, 1:02 AM

New grad board certified FNP can't get a job

I graduated at the end of May with an emphasis on family practice. I am also board certified by the AANP. And yet I can't get a job in the Los Angeles/Orange County/San Diego/Inland Empire, CA. The whole not having a furnishing license has really stopped anyone from hiring me. I've been on over 50 interviews with no offers. I've even had some doctors tell me I should have been a PA because then I could get a job right after certification. I also can't get a RN job because nurse educators/recruiters say I'm overqualified and therefore undesirable. What is going on??
  •  08-24-2011, 11:29 AM

Re: New grad board certified FNP can't get a job

Gail

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on graduating and passing your NP boards!!  After 15 years of practicing as an RN, I will be graduating with my FNP in December and am so excited!!

Secondly, hogwash on those who told you that you should have become a PA.  We are NP's for a reason and should be proud of our independant primary care provider status not to mention the many other reasons for becoming NP's! 

What is a furnishing license?  I am unfamiliar with the term "furnishing."

As for your job interviews, have you ever asked why you have not gotten a job offer?  Maybe asking the ones you interviewed with would allow you to gain feedback for your next interview.  Are you just applying for full time positions?  A lot of part time positions end up becoming full time.  How about the universities or local community colleges?  I know around here, they always need clinical instructors.  Another thought might be to volunteer at a Free Medical Clinic as an NP.  At least this would be experience that you could put on your resume.

I am sorry you are having a hard time finding a position.  I am not sure how the market is in your area, but around here, most of the new graduates have jobs prior to even taking boards.  I wish you the best of luck.  Keep us up to date re: the job search.

Angela

P.S. How were the boards??

•  10-28-2011, 6:43 PM

Gail, I feel your pain!  I too am in a very similar situation and have found that not only are there limited FNP opportunities out in California it is also extremely competitive, making it challenging for new grads like ourselves to get our "foot in the door" so-to-speak.  In addition, the 520 hours within a minimum of 6 months under a supervising physician before one can even apply for a furnishing number makes it nearly impossible for us to obtain even an interview.  Its frustrating because we want to start practicing ASAP yet have been discounted due to our lack of experience as an FNP.  I have been reaching out to recruiters and an option that you may want to consider is possibly working at a skilled nursing facility/nursing home to obtain the experience/furnishing number.  Although it is pretty basic primary care, it still counts!  Hope that helps!
  •  01-17-2012, 5:44 PM

Congrats on your success! Don't feel bad, i rather be overqualified then under-qualified. I will suggest, HealthCare Connections, they do medical placement all over the US, they help you with your resume, give you test interview question and wont send you on an interview that they dont think will yield you results. www.labcareer.com, or 866-346-8522. Best of all it's a free service. Check them out.
  •  12-28-2012, 11:11 AM

I would like an up-date on your post. I hope you have found a job since this was originally posted.
    Joel Ruiz
  •  05-09-2015, 7:04 AM

Needed to compose you a tiny note to finally thank you very much yet again for your personal splendid methods you have discussed above. It is  strangely open-handed with people like you to provide publicly all that a number of people would have marketed as an electronic book to generate some bucks for their own end, primarily now that you could possibly have tried it if you ever wanted. These inspiring ideas likewise acted like a fantastic way to know that the rest have the same dreams really like my personal own to see a whole lot more concerning this problem. I’m sure there are thousands of more enjoyable times in the future for many who check out your blog.
    العاب تلبيس
    العاب باربى
  •  05-19-2015, 8:24 AM

Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Reading this information So i’m happy to convey that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I most certainly will make certain to do not forget this web site and give it a glance on a constant basis.

لعبة صب واى
  •  06-04-2015, 9:20 AM

•  06-27-2015, 7:32 AM

•  09-17-2015, 2:01 PM

•  11-17-2015, 4:04 AM

Great job, I was doing a google search and your site came up for homes for sale in Altamonte Springs, FL but anyway, I have enjoyed reading it, keep it up!
    العاب
    العاب اطفال
    العاب اكشن
  •  04-28-2016, 1:08 PM