Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Student in Medical Coding & Billing

Last post 06-09-2016, 2:10 PM by Windie Brown. 3 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  03-20-2016, 3:13 PM

Student in Medical Coding & Billing

Hello, I have recently just switched my major to Medical Billing and Coding so I'm pretty new to the program. I have some previous background knowledge of insurance and somewhat how it works. I was just curious of what people thought was the most difficult part in billing and coding? I heard coding can be hard in some areas on remembering what codes to assign to what services. I also wanted to know a few tips on how to get your foot in the door with this type of career and where to start?

•  03-20-2016, 4:27 PM

Re: Student in Medical Coding & Billing

From what I have heard the hardest thing that keeps coming up in conversation is how many codes there are and how they keep changing due to the fact that the systems are now operating under a newer coding system now. I have found this to obviously be intimidating due to attempting to obtain my degree in Medical Coding and Billing. Especially with all of the new illnesses that are coming about nowadays where there are going to need to be new codes for all of them, for example the Zika virus. One of the tips that can offer is do some networking and find someone that is in the field to get involved, since getting a lot of jobs nowadays are based on who you know in that field.

Katie Sullivan 

•  05-18-2016, 8:22 PM

You should go to INDEED website to look up jobs as a coder. They usually post good job in our industry. There are some small hospital that would hire you without experience as long as you are certified they will train you. Every health organization may have different requirements.
  •  06-09-2016, 2:10 PM

I have also recently switched careers and am studying coding. I would be interested in knowing what people like with this job too. Have you talked with many people currently working in the field?