Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

New to Medical Coding Field

Last post 01-24-2017, 5:20 PM by Erin Bernhard. 3 replies.
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  01-13-2017, 11:04 PM

New to Medical Coding Field

I am in the process of attending school to start my new career in the medical coding field.  My future hopes is that I can work from home to help cut some costs once my husband and I start a family.  Has anyone had success in doing this career in a work from home situation and what are some good possible sites to check for online work?  Look for to hear some opinions.  Thanks
  •  01-16-2017, 7:45 PM

Re: New to Medical Coding Field

Hi Carrie-

I have also chosen coding as my career path so that I can work from home. Little different situation though. My kids are all older now (ages 20-16) and I am just looking forward to not having to drive into the office everyday. Also, at some point I would like to  be able to help my kids out by watching my grandkids when they start having babies. Hopefully that won't happen for awhile yet :).

•  01-23-2017, 6:13 PM

Hi Carrie, we have similar goals, although I have two children ages 6 & 9!  What I've found so far is that some of the larger companies, such as UHS near me does in fact have work from home opportunities.  I was also informed that it's usually better/easier to obtain one of these after having had some experience working.  I have met a couple of people who were lucky enough to land work from home jobs right after school, so it's definitely possible!  I will post any links that I come across in the future that may help.  Best of luck!
  •  01-24-2017, 5:20 PM

Hi Carrie,

I am in the exact same boat as you, except I already have 3 kids. I will be finishing school soon, (May), and I am looking forward to working from home. Check your local hospitals.  That's who I will end up working for, and they are always desperate for help. You will do a brief training (about 3 months) then they will set you up at home to work, as long as you have a proper work space free from distractions. My mom also works in the field, and works from home for local urgent care centers as a second job. Just another option, but definitely look around!!

Hope this helps!!

Erin