Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

OT vs. PT issues

Last post 05-03-2017, 3:47 AM by strong peter. 26 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (27 items)   < Previous 1 2
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  02-26-2010, 8:03 PM

Re: OT vs. PT issues

Have you tried the gait belts that have "buckles" on each end and they snap together. They are so much easier (for non-therapists to use and the have little or no excess belt hanging down. I am an OT in a SNF and I recommended this for nursing aids who had difficulty using a standard type of gait belt. They are a little more expensive though but if it prevents injury it would be well worth it.  

Another thought (although its not ideal), is to ask the student to wear a regular belt (preferably leather) with jeans. That would provide enough support to help those that need just a little help and provide support to help safely lower the student to the grounf if a seizure occurs. Also, if embarassment or dignity is an issue to the student they may prefer this method.

It also sounds like there needs to be an inservice for the teaching staff from you or another therapist to describe why we recommend what we recommend.  I hope this helps! Good Luck

•  03-26-2010, 7:57 AM

Well, lets see, maybe its for sharing the unit reason, or perhaps they lack functional ideas, or  bored  with being a PT. What happens when the pt needs toileting right away, are you suddenly called upon to takeover? Doesn't the goals list functional activity on an OT  eval and progress note? ADLs there's an idea. You may have some prima donnas on your hands. Stand your ground. The practice of team work in the rehab dept must not be compromised.

IsabellaRolandini COTA
  •  05-19-2010, 7:05 AM

• Clement Low is not online. Last active: 08-20-2017, 6:05 AM Clement Low
    • Joined on 01-27-2010
    • OTR
    • Society for the Physically Disabled
    • Singapore, IT
    • 8 Posts

Actually Amy, I agree with you. The goals that you put up there are not SMART either. What ADL is the therapist talking about? Just indicating ADL is not specific nor measurable. The second goal is as I would consider ambulation as a PT treatment. If the OT's focus is on ambulation, I would say that this OT is not value adding. Had this OT wrote that : Mr X would be able to dress lower body in standing in 2 weeks, I would be very happy with this goal and he can work on his good dynamic standing balance. Would a PT work on good enough dynamic standing bal for LB dressing, unlikely. And I would make a hell lot of noise if the PT does LB dressing with my patient. For the second goal, I won't even have it in my notes. 
  •  09-05-2010, 10:40 PM

I work in home care. We are looking for ways to eliminate duplication of services.  Has anyone ever heard of  physical therapy being the primary on addressing bed transfers and car transfers? I am looking for a clearer delineation of the roles of OT and PT in  a home care setting.  I worked for a hospital based home care agency and that was the policy for that agency. I don't know if this is widely accepted. I am also concerned about lost referrals from physical therapy due to physical therapy assistants performing OT dressing, home adaptation and equipment recommendations. Recently, I have had patients decline occupational therapy due to the PTAs  telling the patient that they do not need occupational therapy. I am not just an "upper body" therapist. Often, I am addressing energy conservation, safety awareness and home modification for accessibility. I do also incorporate upper body exercise for pacing, core strengthening and pain management. I do not see PT addressing these issues. Upper body exercise is sometimes a gateway for more functional activity, especially if the patient is severely debilitated..  Does anyone have some set boundaries as to the different roles or functions that  therapies address?

Julie Bragg OTR/L
  •  09-15-2010, 7:43 PM

I feel that it is the setting you are in that also determines how much collaboration and team work that OT's and PT's have.  I myself am a COTA in a Pre-School and the PT's are my right hand at times.  There are def. lines that they do not cross as well as lines we do not cross but without the collaboration we do have I feel that the children being treated would be the one's loosing out. 
    COTA/OTS
  •  12-09-2010, 2:27 PM

This is a good post. Thanks!

•  03-10-2011, 7:13 PM

Give an example of one of your written goal.

JLanz
  •  10-02-2011, 2:28 PM

Toilet and commode transfers are part of ADLs. We are skilled in equipment recommendations, does the patient need a drop arm commode, bars, baratriac, elevated seat? ...and the tub or shower next to the toilet, we have input on that also. If we disown all these bits and pieces, we would promote even more confusion to patients and the community. Just because a patient performs one way transferring to a surface, doesn't mean it will be the same for another. I have worked with several skilled PTs and they don't know EVERYTHING. We undermine ourselves if we feel...they should do our areas.
  •  02-10-2016, 2:38 AM

PT is simpler to understand. Everyone wants to walk. Harder to explain how working with an OT will help them get back to being independent in the day to day things that make their life meaningful. 

sukhbir singh badal
  •  12-09-2016, 2:09 AM

I am also interested in receiving your templates if you don't mind. Thank you for your help.
    Magento 2 Social Login|Magento 2 Gift Card
  •  03-02-2017, 2:40 AM

That is crazy.  Do the PT evals have toileting on it?  I have never seen it
    Magento 2 dropship
    Magento 2 dropship extension
  •  05-03-2017, 3:47 AM

I simply finished telling my buddy in regards to this very post and then we both agreed with everything you’ve written. However some people would disagree with many of the statements you’ve made, we failed to and salute your bravery. Congratulations and might best of luck come your path. For more information, you should check out this page.

192.168.1.1 192.168.1.1
Page 2 of 2 (27 items)   < Previous 1 2