Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Gaining work experience

Last post 08-27-2017, 7:00 PM by Nyrshea Williams. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items)   < Previous 1 2
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  04-19-2017, 2:30 AM

Re: Gaining work experience

•  05-06-2017, 5:54 AM

Wish you best of luck to gain the required experience.
    Dissertation writing services
  •  05-23-2017, 10:03 AM

I know exactly how you feel.  I am in my final semester in the HIT program at Alfred State College.  The only classes left for me is my Professional Practice Exams.  I do not have placement yet, but I have been looking at jobs in my area and I am getting a bit nervous as well because I too do not have the 1-2 years experience.  This is a career change for me and I have no experience.  The only thing I am hoping will help me is when they finally place me that the place I am doing my internship in will really like me and hire me.  Also, I hope I also interview well and will impress them and hope they take that chance on me.  Good Luck to you.

Frances Omura

•  08-03-2017, 4:50 AM

Wish you a very best of luck dear.
    Online Assignment Writing Service
  •  08-11-2017, 2:06 AM

To me its a very good post. 
    thesis writing services
  •  08-27-2017, 7:00 PM

I am currently in the same position as you are in. This is for all students who are still in school. Please join your associations and volunteer and network. Presently I volunteer on the state, regional and national levels with GHIMA, NGHIMA, and AHIMA. From these meetings, I have known people to get jobs. I am still out there applying myself. I attended and AAPC meeting and at the beginning they were giving out job leads. Same thing at my local NGHIMA meeting. The AHIMA jobs are a little above my head as an entry level prospect, but after I take the RHIT, I will be enrolling in AHIMA's Apprenticeship program. These are paid apprenticeships so check out their webpage for more information. Working with these people and impressing them with your work ethic will go a long way when you least expect it. I have had some people that I met tell me to just apply and they will put in the word for me. I have not used that just yet, but I am about to. It is who you know in this field. Also, Himagine has a preceptorship program where they train you for a specific client. You have to have your RHIT though.

I also plan on volunteering with the Dept of Aging Services to assist seniors with Medicare information and enrollment. They train you so that is additional knowledge we can put on application plus it counts as experience. You are only required to do 4 hours a month but I plan on doing more. For those with an IT bent, do the same with the Dept of Community Services in IT dept.

My internship was only 2 weeks and I still list it, but I doubt and employer is impressed with that. I utilize LinkedIn extensively and my contacts will send me information. I will be attending the AHIMA convention in October and will definitely be asking these questions at Student Academy.  

I am the student liaison for my regional organization and on the Student Volunteer Network with AHIMA. I will be bringing all these concerns to their attention as well as getting additional information. If you are a student in Georgia, I will soon be emailing you as a student liaison so any additional information I will pass on that way.

Good luck everyone!

Nyrshea Williams 

Page 2 of 2 (21 items)   < Previous 1 2