Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Has everyone heard of Medication Aides?

Last post 04-09-2009, 11:18 PM by Maura Flynn. 61 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (62 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  05-19-2008, 12:33 AM

Re: Has everyone heard of Medication Aides?

You are scared of somebody with 20-40 hours training, how about people they only have 4 hours of training. now that is scary. I just want to know under which license they are really practicing. Under the administrater's or the charge nurse(supervisior) or who? or are they responsible for themselves.?
    p
  •  06-10-2008, 8:45 AM

Re: RE:Has everyone heard of Medication Aides?

Yes I have heard of them and worked with them as well. It's scary these medication aides can pass meds to 20 patients in one hour but take the LPN who do the same exact assignment for the same patient's and it take that LPN 2-2 1/2 hours now picture that.They take a course for 20-40 hours take a test pass it and now they have a new title and position.That should be the same policy for LPN's with over 10 years of experience that would love to become a RN but due to all the prereq's that must be takeing before entering the nursing program and the length of time they can not become the nurse that they really want to be. Think about the sceniro you have a person with maybe 1 year as working as a aide then take a 10 minute course and now pass meds and the LPN is responsible for that person mistake compared to the LPN with over 10 years of experience that can not challenge a test to become the RN that they want to be.Something is not right
    sorry from baltimore
  •  07-29-2008, 9:02 AM

Absolutely absurd!
  •  08-08-2008, 12:52 PM

In Washington state, I've come across Med Techs in assisted living settings.  They are not able to give eye drops, check blood sugars, give injections, apply topical meds or patches, complete wound care, or take physician orders.  In this setting, the LPNs are pretty much there for any "invasive"-type procedures (as previous) and it feels like we are under-utilized unless the ALF is HUGE which can be the case.  There are some ALFs that do not use Med Techs (mostly private-owned) because they feel the liability is too high.  It's probably a 50/50 split between use or non-use.  I have worked in SNFs where they have wanted to put "Nurse Techs" in place-similar usage, but administration and the higher ups also vetoed due to liability.  The rumor of phasing out LPNs has been in every setting I've worked in (LTC, ALF, Home Health, Agency, Office, Private duty) and has been going on for almost 20 years of my practice.  To put it frankly, I'll believe it when they hand me my pink slip.  In healthcare as a whole, it is my feeling that because of the lack of trained professionals, that us LPNs will always have a certain level of security.  Let's put it in dollar perspective...we can do 95% of the RN job, at less pay, why not exploit that?!  I have had many fears of being "phased-out" but I rest assured on the fact that my employers dovalue my experience as well as level of training.  We have a lot of MAs in the practice where I work now, and there are just those things that I do, that by Federal Laws, they cannot.  Therefore: JOB SECURITY!!  We work in conjuction with lots of hospital settings, and the hospitals will not recognize telephone or verbal orders from anyone less than an LPN.  We also have a great deal of latitude in accepting orders that fall within good nursing practice, i.e. approving hospice start orders and treatment plan (predetermined orders).  I have seen MANY hospitals "phase-out" LPNs only to reinstate because there are not enough RNs!  At any rate, CYA in any situation, and if you feel your license is at risk...get the hell out!!  If you feel it is worthy, report it to the state (been there, done that).  Alway remember... THE PATIENT COMES FIRST!  We all know that, we are their advocates, and it is our responsiblity to protect them.  Not all Med Techs are idiots, lots of them are using it as a stepping stone to further on to nursing, and this is a good place to polish their skills.  Healthcare will probably always be adding titles, training, etc. because of the shortage of nurses.  I don't know about you, but i'd rather work with an experienced Med Tech than a crappy nurse.  Use some of your time to educate if you feel you can, we have that knowledge, spread it around a little before passing judgement, teach the teachable, and protect from the non-teachable.  Well, enough preaching, thanks for listening..
  •  08-31-2008, 6:37 PM

In response to the medication aides in AZ. , yes there is concern about them as well as the Med techs.they have not had any theory or class room time and hands on time as the LN has.

Here in the U.S. we need to bring on all the LPNs and RNs we possibly can. Until this county includes the LPNs in the nursing shortage there will not be much hope for the hands on care that the aging population needs. Most LPNs have years of experience. You can ask any RN if she or he would rather have and LPN work with them or a Med tech/medication aide, you will here '' I want the LPN any day of the week". Cost cutting in the medical facility's will come back to haunt them. If I were a patient, then make sure my care/meds are given to me by  either the LPN or RN.

Thank you 

Barbara Benn LPN Class of 1981,Ventura CA.Community College 

•  09-17-2008, 6:24 PM

Yes I have heard of medication aides and I being a nurse for 9 years was happy to hear of such. When you have given meds. to 25-30 people, crushed meds liquid meds,flushed through peg tubes, done tx documentation and put up with bad attitudes from your coworkers you will be happy to have a med aide.In long term care that is the bulk of your job and it takes abou 2-3hrs As far as the short time it takes to certify these aides, how long did you really spend on med administration? We spent an adequate amount of time on med administration but school was to busy teaching technique, disease process and body systems etc. and I went to a wonderful school. So realistically you don't spend that much time on just that one subject.To me administration is the easiest part of the job. The hard part is the amount of people you have to give them to. Most of the time here in PA med aides are in assisted living facilities that I know of. Haven't heard of them in LTC.

•  09-18-2008, 2:48 PM

I agree with you.  I have been a cna for 20 yrs and i am currently in an LPN program (graduate 7/09!!)  In Maine facilities use crma's.. again with only 40 hours of training...its scary to think that this is legal..  even scarier that families leave their loved ones in facilities that employ crma's with only an RN on call.  :(
  •  09-18-2008, 4:42 PM

I've heard of and worked with med aides for many years (I've been an LPN for almost 30 years).  I've felt more comfortable with them many times than with some nurses -- RNs and LPNs.  No 20 - 40 hours worth of training isn't much but the emphasis is on the drugs they mainly will be passing in the LTC setting.  Most of the med aides I work with aren't afraid to ask or look up a medication.  Ours are labeled with the generic name and many times the order will read the brand name they will take the drug book, there's one on each med cart, and look it up or any other items they may question about the med.  This more than some nurses I know do.  Also if you have ever been to a doctor's office and had a medical assistant take care of you, they have about as much knowledge of medicines as a med aide.  Hope this helps some.

Dorothy

•  09-19-2008, 9:42 AM

I live in NJ (the southern part). Medication aides are used alot in assisted living facilities here with one RN "on call" in case there is a problem. I worked at one assisted living facilty, I had to laugh when one med aide had told me "your giving the insulin injection wrong" HMMM let me see...I have 22 years experience to your 40 hours worth of training...plus I was always taught in nursing school, you DO NOT GIVE OUT ANYTHING YOU DIDN"T POUR OR DRAW UP!!!! I can't tell you how many times I wanted to tell family members "oh, by the way, the person giving your meds ONLY has 40 hours worth of training". It all comes down to the almighty dollar and not patient care or safety. You pay a med tech $9.00 an hour compared to $21.00 (average pay for a LPN here). There are several assisted living facilities here that are under investigation because they do not accept medicare. So as soon as your finances are depleted, your asked/forced to leave.
  •  09-24-2008, 11:56 AM

I am an LPN and have worked for 28 years as a medication nurse also. I worked with med tech back in the early 90's at that time they could only give medications to patients that could really give their own medications and could identify their medications Now they can give them to anyone. Which scares me. They have no idea what they are giving and why.

They do not look up anything, they don't know what the adverse effects are or what a half life is. The don't have a clue what the medications are for just it says to give this and I am giving it.

One of the things I have seen  is after a week of giving medications 2 different Med Techs have said to me this lady has diarrhea so bad what can I give her. I said, what are you giving her is the question? Lets see first what you are giving and see if you have to hold anything. Which was the case in both situations. If they don't even know what a stool softener or a stool softener with a stimulant is what are they doing with cardiac drugs, thyroid drugs, Dilantin etc. Let alone insulin. 

I don't know everything about medication but I do take my job seriously. I continue to look up drugs almost on a daily basis, I don't want the responsiblity of having a med tech work under my licenses.  

•  10-14-2008, 4:54 AM

I work in a state facility in Md. I have three different med aides I work with. To be honest with you all I would rather work with them then I would some RN's. I myself am a LPN and have been for 38 years. The med aides I work with are very knowledgeable and caring. If there is something they do not understand they aren't afraid to ask or look it up. They know their meds and what they are for. They know the side effects of the meds they give and the correct way and times meds should be given. They have a full understanding of doctor's orders and howw to carry them out. I trust all of them fully for they do a wonderful job. I would be totally lost without their help and knowledge. We work on a dialysis floor and at times it can get very busy and they are always there to help with whatever they can do with the training they have. I praise my three med aides I work with to the highest.
    Donna
  •  10-20-2008, 6:39 PM

I've been an LPN since 1978 Medication Aides are around & some are scary others are real assest

1 nsg home i worked in used 1 on the assisted living floor with LPN/RN back up on the more needy assisted living floor

the hospice house that i work at PRN uses 3 med aides to cover all three shifts m-f and uses LPN's Prn on the week ends  this scares me

although there is RN back up they are not always on site.

•  10-20-2008, 10:27 PM

I would like to address Medication Aids in Va. They now have to talk a 65 hour course and 20 hours of on the job supervised training to pass the class. Then they have to take a state test to be registered as a Medication Aid. I have been an LPN for 3 years and worked as an Assisted Administrator for 7 years. We have hired RN, LPN, and Medication Aids. Guess who makes the most mistakes? Guess who leaves the most holes in the MAR's.? Guess who doesn't notice when a resident is not acting like themselves? If you think it's the Mediation Aide you are WRONG. I have had more of a problems with drug addition, mistakes, meds. given by memory from the RN and LPN. We have around 20-26 resident's. They think they can memorize the medication record and thinks it never changes. They will prepour to save time, they will forget to sign off meds. that they have given or I have found that they will sign that they gave a medication and it will still be in the drawer. They think they are too smart to write down if a PRN is effective and how they know it is. Don't get me wrong, I have had trouble with medication aids. My job is to check behind everyone. I will write everyone one up the same, title behind your name makes no difference. Medication aid know they don't know that much and normally are more careful, and not as willing to take risk. They will send someone to the ER if they are not sure of something. As nurse who oversee's the Medication Aids it is our job to train them. New meds. come in we need to make sure they know what it is, how it is given, what it is given for. After we have sent time training them the way we want them to pass meds. then we need to do quality control checks to make sure they are following proper procedures. They can be a help to the LPN and the RN, yes they could cost some of us jobs. That is the down part, we need to have someone to oversee them and to do the quality checks. Without that they and anyone else not being checked behind will not to their job as good as they can doing it. We all do better when we know that someone is coming behind us checking to make sure we are doing it right.  Their is a lot of good medication aid, as well as a lot of good nurses. Some of thoes nurse got their start being a medication aid.
  •  10-21-2008, 9:38 PM

I have heard a little about it just in assisted living programs. I would not like it when I start working. I want to take my own vitals when it comes to meds. I will be responsible and I will be very careful. No it is not a good idea.
  •  11-23-2008, 9:59 PM

Hey!  I've been an LPN for ten years now, and sad to say I agree with you.  Protect yourself and get out if something is not right!  That is what I am having to do after ten years of the same garbage.  I have not heard of these med tech people but it does sound scary,,,,,,downright wrong.
Page 3 of 5 (62 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >