Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Has everyone heard of Medication Aides?

Last post 04-09-2009, 11:18 PM by Maura Flynn. 61 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (62 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  12-02-2008, 5:33 AM

Re: Has everyone heard of Medication Aides?

in the state of massahusetts med certified aides work in group home settings in mental health and the field of mental retardation...these are state jobs. they also work in assissted living communities.. i have worked with these aides for almost 13 yrs. I have huge concerns for this: 1. from what i have observed none know the reason they are administrating the medications. 2. none know (although they are suppossed to know) the side effects of the medications. 3. med errors....although nurses make med errors as well, for the most part we all owe up to them with further learning and not to let it happen again...my observations have been a "so what attitude" which can be a very serious one. When a nurse is on only the nurse can administer medications otherwise the aides are working under the nurses license. NEVER let anyone give out a medication if your on duty no matter how stressed you become. These aides also are not supposed to diagnose by giving PRN's without notifying the rn on call, but do. your right in the amount of education they receive prior to becoming certified  in my field it was only 16 hrs. i did 60hrs of pharmacology ...my word to you is becareful....and make sure you have your own malpractice insurance...feel free to contact me...Donna, LPN

•  12-02-2008, 5:38 AM

in anwer to your question: the situation in which i am employed if a med  certified aide administered medications in your presence your license is at stake if there is a mistake made, if they are working with another aide it goes to the administration. my advice is never let anyone hand out a med that does not have a state held license..you do it, the paper work can wait. protect yourself...always you worked very hard to get your license it would be tough for you to get another job but the aides can work at wallmart...not that that is a bad thing but we are educated as nurses..
  •  12-10-2008, 10:37 AM

Hello.  I've recently heard of medication aides on my own search for a job as an LPN.  After I graduated, I became pregnant so i couldnt work until after the baby.  Now here I am searching for a job and cannot get one.  I became desperate and replied to an ad for a medication aide.  I explained that i was an LPN.  I figured they were needed someone to help give meds.  Well, I didn't get the job because medication aides are paid only ten dollars an hour.  So, their not only allowing untrained, unlicensed individuals to give out medication, but these medication aides are also filling job spots that people have gone to school for and paid good money for the education.  It's ridiculous.

laura12
  •  12-14-2008, 3:19 PM

I am an LPN since 1965 !!!! During my younger yrs. of nursing, there was no such person working in the medical field as a " med. tech" and I to was given the impression that the LPN would be phrased out of the medical field. More recently I have been living in FL for 9 years and have worked as a visiting nurse of the home health field. My first encounter of a Med. Tech was on a visit to a pt. living in an ALF. What a surprise to find that she was handing meds to the residents and she had minimal instructions. SCARY to say the least. When company/business and MD offices hire Med. Techs. for minimal wages, the need for LPN's will be pushed aside. When we, LPN's, no longer have a united voice then that is when we will be phased out of the medical field. That will surely be a sad day for all people.

•  12-16-2008, 10:00 PM

Re: RE:Has everyone heard of Medication Aides?

the word hate is very strong! wouldn't want you taking care of my family member.yeah stay out.Right were u need to be.Everybody need not to be a nurse..... your 1 of them
  •  12-21-2008, 7:31 PM

i for one TOTALLY DISAGREE with the idea of a med tech. i've only been a nurse for a couple years now, but when i worked at a nursing home in 2007, we were introduced to the "med tech." i was so against it but i had no control over it. i did not like the fact that I was held accountable for their actions. whenever a med tech was assigned to me i was "on them." i was right there with them as they pulled the med, administered the med and documented the action. i was not about to let something as foolish and careless the IDEA of a med tech snatch away my new found license. i now work at a clinic and med techs dont exist there.....lol..... thank you Jesus!!!! (sigh of relief)  {NC}

tbank$
  •  01-12-2009, 11:14 AM

Yes i was actually a Med Aide 15 years before i became an LVN. Yes we only have 20-40hrs to become certified, but we have to get our permit renewed every year as well. We have to take an 8hr class. The thing that scares me the most, is when the LVN's in the facility knew nothing about the medications their patients were on and what they were for. The become out of the loop with meds because they hardly pass them. NOW that's scarier. When the nurse is asking the Med Aide about medications because she doesn't know what they are for. Or calling the doctor to get an order for something and the Med Aide has to tell the nurse that pt is already on that med. So contrary to what people think....there are some good Med Aides out there! Meds was all i did for 15 years. I could tell you brand name, generic name, usual dosage, side effects, & nursing considerations. Now there are some people i think that shouldn't pass meds, but them again there are nurses who shouldn't be nurses either. How many pages of disiplinary actions against nurses are on the Nursing newsletter we get?
  •  01-15-2009, 7:25 PM

I worked in the state of Indiana where they have medication aides.  I found them to be a great help and one i knew was actually attending classes to become a nurse.  If I had a concern with any medication they might be passing... I did it my self.  The medication aides i worked with were not allowed by that facility to do accuchecks or any invasive meds... ie... g-tubes.  I now work in Illinois in a long term care facility for the mentally ill.  In Illinois they did not pass the law allowing medication aides which was mostly stopped by the Registered Nurses in Illinois.  Medication Aides would have been a great help to our nurses.  They would have freed the nurses to be able to do assessments and contact the doctors.  I loved the medication aides i worked with in Indiana.
  •  01-25-2009, 12:12 PM

I have now, I read alot of the posts and it is scary!  I would not want anyone passing med on my lic!  Why are we allowing this?  We need to make sure our lic are safe, I'm sure there are some who are very good at what they do, fine go to school and get your LPN.  Others need to stop and get another job.  I have been a nurse for 10 years and still look things up or call the pharmacy, do they do this?  Do they even know how?  Do the pts family know that a person who is NOT a nurse is giving there loved one meds?
  •  01-30-2009, 11:29 AM

Hello I have been a LPN for Thirty years now, and this has been going on for quite some time, it is just being modified by a different name, I will continue to be concerend about this, and would also like to inform the state. The Nurse Practice Act, should also be looked into, to see if this is permissiable, it seems like every two years, someone is trying to get by with little professionals as possible, it is unfortunate that the patient and their families are the victims of this program, when there is a nursing shortage. A lot of people are turning away from the Health Care Arena or field if you may, because it is such a stressful job. And a lot of companies are not trying to recruite any more people or the people are just not responding. You should go on line to illinois nurse and receive their newspaper, it is very informative.
    scshenault
  •  02-11-2009, 9:01 PM

There have always been medication aides, unfortunately it is nothing new to Health Care. I've worked with "Med Aides" with less training than 20 hours. How horrifing can that be as a nurse taking care of those residents, you are responsible for at that time????

I'd also like to comment on one very important thing, whether you are a new nurse or a seasoned nurse ( 18 years here), if you have any question or doubt of any kind regarding med. administration, you always double check, ask questions, and read books. Don't ever administer treatments, meds, or any type of service unless you are sure of yourself, and your abilities, whether new or not. A nurse should never be scared or uncertain to ask questions or look something up, if you don't, that is someone's life you are holding in your hands. I have always done this  during my career, if someone thinks I'm "dumb" oh well, like the old saying, better safe than sorry. We are nurses, not GOD, and simple mistakes made because someone was too scared to ask a question, will and has taken lives. Now imagine being a caring nurse and someone died because of a simple mistake that could have been avoided by one question, or reading longer. I thank GOD it has never been me.

•  02-12-2009, 2:51 PM

I am NAPNES medication certified.  As nurses it is not enough to just check the medication against the MAR and again when you give it, but a nurse needs to know what they are giving and why.  They need to know contraindications and side effects.  A short course in how to give a medication is dangerously insufficient unless it covers everything else that goes along with it.  Otherwise we can all be replaced with trained monkeys.  
  •  02-13-2009, 9:39 PM

There are apparently many of these "Medication Aides" or "Med Techs" working in the long term care/skilled nursing facilities in Arizona. I am in total agreement that the minimal amount of training they receive which "certifies" them to administer medications is very scary. I would not want to be held responsible or put my licence at risk, for a med error that I did not make. While I understand how stressful and time consuming it is for nurses to pass meds to a large group of patients, while also having to do treatments/wound care/chart documentation all within their shift hours, I feel that the extra help should be in hiring additional nurses, not "Medication Aides". I hope this will not become more commonplace, as I feel it will undoubtedly lead to increased med errors. I now work as a hospice nurse, providing care in patient's homes, so fortunately I do not have to work with "Medication Aides." I have heard from colleagues who work in long term care that it is now quite common to see "Med Aides", and so far no-one I have spoken to is happy about this relatively new practice. It would be very interesting to hear other nurses views on this issue.
  •  02-13-2009, 9:55 PM

I see this conversation is still going on.

Where I received my "TMA" training in MN. included not only the names {brand/generic}, we also had to know why we were adminstering it, the side effects to look for, if a pt had a narcotics patch, we had {or atleast I did}, had to look for previous patches, sign/date them, all narcotics were signed out by the nurse in charge and I counter signed it, as far as flushing g-tubes, I did that also as per instructions by the nurse which were governed by the facility adminsitrator and state laws. When/where I took the Trained Medication Aid program at SCTC, FYI: This course meets the MN Board of Nursing standards for TMA program.

It appears to me that alot of the anger and frustrations about "med techs, med aids/what have you" is all misplaced job insecurities. There is no logical way you can "hate" a person (the med aid/tech) who does a job or "hate" a particular job title {med tech/med aid} unless you are truly ignorant. Now if the person who performs the job is incompetent then that is another story. And incompetence does not start at one being a med tech, nor does it end with one being a med tech. It lies within each independent individual and how they perceive themselves, their duties, and their ambitions. Why think just how silly it would sound if "Doctors" stated that ALL or Every Nurse {RN/LPN} were useless, unknowledgeable, trifeling, and made them feel unsafe or scared to perform Their duties and they dont like "NURSES" at all.

Does everyone on here {aside from a few} have a "lemmings" mentality when it comes to "med techs?"

God bless and grant you all wisdom and understanding.

UNO

p.s. another thing occured to me, since the nurses are naming the med techs for all sorts of mistakes and scared to lose your license, who would you blame for your own personal incompetencies since you can see those of the techs, but not those of your own?? who was accountable before the med techs came into the picture and you all made mistakes? or were you all too perfect to make them....

•  02-24-2009, 5:32 PM

Uno,

The training you describe in Minnesota is not what med techs in states where I have worked describe.  Kudos for Minnesota.  New York and Pennsylvania (based upon the med techs) are not so thorough.  Remember this; lawyers always look for the license (medical or nursing) when they are planning their next vacation or looking to buy a new car.  Do nurses make mistakes?  Of course we do.  RNs don't like having their license in jeopardy because of an LPN and the LPN doesn't want the same because of anyone working under their license.  The med tech idea scares us LPNs because where many of us work, they are not as well versed and trained as you appear to be. 

Kimberlain

Page 4 of 5 (62 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >