Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
in Search

Has everyone heard of Medication Aides?

Last post 04-09-2009, 11:18 PM by Maura Flynn. 61 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (62 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Discussion Next Discussion Sort Posts:
  •  03-18-2009, 8:51 PM

Re: Has everyone heard of Medication Aides?

I'm one of those DONs "Damned Ole Nurses" y'all have probably worked for one like me in the past...now lets talk about evidence based practice - especially about those "Medication Aide - Certified" folks.

The latest research tells us that;

1.   "During the pre-implementation  observations at six nursing homes, 31 LPNs and 7 RNs were observed to delivering 3,039 medications. The initial    error rate was 10.4% (LPN-10.12%; RN- 11.54%). There were no statistical or clinical differences among the medication errors observed based on a credential.

2.    During the post-implementation observations of the remaining five nursing homes, 6 LPNs, 2 RNs and 7 Medication Technicians were observed delivering 2,151 medications. The mean error rate of 6.6% (LPN-7.25%; RN “ 2.75%; Medication Technician- 6.06%). There were no statistical or clinical differences noted among those administering medications regardless of the credential level. These findings are similar to a national study funded in 2007 by the Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality conducted by Scott-Cawiezell and colleagues:

Final  Report: Technology to Improve Medication Safety in Nursing Homes. The study found that members of the medication team were positively impacted by the presence of the medication technician over time.

Since I have worked with Med Techs, MA-Cs etc. in 4 states over 30 years this did not surprise me.

Welcoming another nurse extender into our nursing family may feel a little awkward......but welcome they are. 

•  04-09-2009, 11:18 PM

Re: LPNS Must Stand Together!

Melanie, you are so right!  All the complaining on forums like this do nothing more than help get things off your chest.  If you really want to effect change, you need to join your professional organization.  There is strength and power in numbers. 

When it comes to issues like this, you should work with your state LPN association if you have one.  Legislative committees work to influence government lawmakers who make decisions about licensing authority.  I was an LPN for 32 years (before becoming an RN) and was very concerned about our practice issues so I also sought a seat on the Board of Registration in Nursing in my state.  I was able to advocate for LPNs to preserve and enhance our scope of practice. No one was more vocal than I was when it came to defending LPNs.  That type of volunteerism isn't for everyone, I understand, but at the very least, contact your state board of nursing and find out their position on issues that concern you.  Attend board meetings (they are public) so you can see first-hand how policies are made.  Remember, unless you get involved, issues will always be in the hands of someone else.

Page 5 of 5 (62 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5