Close Server: KOPWWW05 | Not logged in

Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
Search

Lower body weight-bearing for decorticate posturing

•  02-01-2019, 5:21 AM

Lower body weight-bearing for decorticate posturing

Hello. I began seeing this patient with severe plantarflexion contracture (at home, mostly for maintenance), bed-ridden, decorticate posturing for years, early 40's, and I'd like to facilitate standing/weight-bearing using tilt table. The usual thought would be for a surgeon to perform tendon release to help position ankles/feet before weight bearing, but because of the patient's condition (it's already too much for the family to deal with), and to veer away from surgical wound healing and possible infection issues, I'm more leaning towards just simply utilizing customized shoes to help stabilize patient's ankles/feet for weight-bearing. Patient's prognosis is poor, but I just want to facilitate weight-bearing to diminish bone/osteoporosis etc issues in the future.  Any input/suggestions/thoughts from fellow PTs here are appreciated.  Most of the orthotists I know just work with traditional AFO's for positioning, but I feel patient need some out-of-the-box thinker of an orthotist. Any info on out-of-box thinker/orthotist is also appreciated. Thanks.
View Complete Discussion