Welcome to Health Care POV | sign in | join | help
Search

DISRESPECT OF L.P.N.'S

•  06-23-2009, 5:43 PM

DISRESPECT OF L.P.N.'S

I am a 27 year seasoned, PROUD L.P.N.! I do not understand why we are so disrespected by our sister R.N.'S, medical institutions and the medical field in general. The general public do not consider us a valid nurse because we are not R.N'S. The public does not seem to understand there is virtually no difference between L.P.N.'S and a two year R.N. in the state of Massachusetts. The public is uneducated that we L.P.N'S are educated, licensed nurses. I would go to to toe with any R.N. as I know that I am a competent nurse. In Massachusetts one is not considered a Professional Nurse unless one has a BSN so even two year R.N'S are not considered professional but because they are an R.N. and belong to the same organization as doctors they are okay? I did not know intelligence is determined by initials after your name? Would I be any smarter than I am if I had R.N. after my name I do not think so. I work with R,N.'S who say you think like an R.N. what does that mean? I think like a nurse because that is what I am. L.P.N.'S are trained as bedside nurses and in my state we have more practicum hours than R.N.'S some R.N. programs do not have any practicum which I cannot even fathom how can you care for someone expand your knowledge base with no practicum? But you have R.N. after your name so it is all good right? We have constitutional rights we are not suppose to profile, be judged by the color of our skin or what religion we subscribe to we are not suppose to be openly discriminated against or our civil rights be infringed upon. So why are L.P.N.'S openly discriminated against and told without logical thinking we need an R.N. for this job? I would so join a lobbyist group to gain respect and recognition for L.P.N.'S we have not been validated for long enough we need to start a national register with signatures from all L.P.N.'S bring it to the attention of our local state houses and let government, people and yes the medical community know we are here will always be here and work just as hard as any R.N. Judy, L.P.N. in Massachusetts
    Judith M. Erban, L.P.N.
View Complete Discussion